Kaitlyn's POV

I got out my dagger. We were all crouched against the wall. We still hadn't opened the door, as we were expecting Mr. Red Robes to make the door passagable. But no one appeared. I grasped my weapon even harder. I got up and motioned for my friends to follow me. As my hand was on the door knob, I turned to see if they were behind me. They were, but they were still crouched. James' hand was on Tiffany's wrist, and they talked in hushed tones. I caught some of their conversation. "I just... wanted to say: be careful, and no matter what happens in there, just know that I... I value you as a friend," said James.

My best friend smiled lightly. "Me too, James."

She pursed her lips, as if thinking of what to do next. I looked away quickly, tears filling my eyes. Seeing them like that only reminded me of Max. I clenched my jaw. I had to get vengeance. Revenge. I kicked open the door without a warning to James and Tiff. They looked up quickly and startled. I look at them with a steely expression. "It's now or never."

I walked into the apartment room confidently. I stalked over to the living room; no one there. I looked in the kitchen, where there seemed to be meatballs frying. A bowl of them lay on the kitchen counter and I had to admit: they looked good. But maybe they were food poisoned by our enemy. I knocked the bowl of food over, smashing it and scattering the meatballs. I also had another confession to make: I wasn't thinking straight. Anger and pain drove me, but I had a good reason.

I looked behind me to make sure my quest mates were there. They were, with Tiffany's bow drawn and James' hammer in his hand. I walked into the bathroom, where the water was running in the shower. I didn't even hesitate when I pulled back the curtains. "KAITLYN!" shouted my bestie.

I looked at her with an annoyed look. I motioned at the empty bathtub. "No one's here, Tiff. No need to worry."

I stomped past her and James and into the bedroom where sure enough, Mr. Red Robes was. He was shaking, muttering something to himself. His silver spear, which was now in our possession, stuck out of James' backpack, the tip sticking out. I slowly crept up behind him, my Celestial bronze dagger ready. As I was about to put it around his neck, he whipped around and knocked me off my feet right into James. "OOF!" both of us groaned.

His sacred weapon rolled out of the backpack, and Mr. Red Robes picked it up with a malicious grin. Unprepared, Tiffany got swept off her feet as our enemy struck her on her ankles.

I sneakily crawled off of the son of Hephaestus, grabbing my dagger again. Our target was glaring at the daughter of Apollo, his silver weapon raised above her chest, ready to embed it into her heart. I swept my leg from the ground at Mr. Red Robes ankles like a tiger, making him fall. I placed my foot on his chest, grabbed Tiff's bow and arrow, nocked it and aimed it at his head. Before I knew it, he brought his elbow onto my shin and I screamed in pain. I dropped my bestie's weapons and they clattered to the floor. I got into a fighting stance and my enemy did the same. I growled at him, "What are you planning?"

I couldn't see his face, but he finally spoke. His voice was raspy and full of irritation. "A great time of dread..."

James got up, his hammer ready to smash into our target's head. "Wait... like from the prophecy!"

Mr. Red Robes cocked his head. "Prophecy? There's a prophecy about me? I feel HONORED."

Tiffany got up, her fists clenched. "You should be."

He noticed the scroll in the backpack and looked at me, who was the closest to it. He then looked at the papyrus again, as if unsure what to do. He then lunged at it, and I lunged at him. He grabbed it as I tackled him to the side. I tried to pin my legs on top of his body to stop him from moving, but as he unrolled the scroll, a bright light emitted from it, making me look away and fall back. It was only for a short moment, but enough to make me and my friends fall back, unguarded. When all of our vision came back, we returned our attention back to Mr. Red Robes. He smiled, laughing in triumph. "AT LAST! Back in the hands of our ancestors, where it belongs! I shall continue what has been delayed. A new age! A new generation. Everything my family would be proud of!"