𝟎𝟑 ∘ weakness: dogs

I feel like Delilah is already so much more forward than my other characters

I've noticed how much people really liked Arlo in the prologue and now I'm have second thoughts about killing him off. Should I rewrite the story to include Arlo? Let me know what you think

——————————

After about half an hour of quiet, Delilah headed back to the bus

After about half an hour of quiet, Delilah headed back to the bus. She took one last look at the stars before stepping onto the bus. As soon as she was inside she could hear the soft sound of snoring. Brax was already fast asleep at the back of the bus, machete by his bed at the ready.

Delilah chuckled to herself as she began to remove her shoes and jackets before climbing onto her bed. Boy was across from her on his blankets and pillows and Joel was laying in a chair two seats back.

The boy was watching her, intrigued by the first two people he had met who still lived above ground. From what he had seen of the Earth so far, it wasn't exactly inviting. And yet, Delilah and Brax had survived.

"I'm sorry if I said something that offended you," Joel apologised quietly so that he wouldn't wake Brax.

Delilah looked across at the boy. The candles were still lit, so she was still able to make out his features. His dark hair was more dishevelled against his pale skin than it had been before, his eyes soft as he looked at her.

He was definitely attractive. Delilah wasn't about to pretend he wasn't; she wasn't a teenager anymore.

"You have nothing to apologise for, Joel Dawson," Delilah told him, attempting to smile. She wasn't lying - he didn't. Joel didn't know why Boy was named Boy, so it was a fair enough question and she couldn't be mad at him for that.

Joel seemed surprised by this, stumbling for words for a moment. "Wait. . . really?"

"You don't even know why I walked away, so how could you have done it on purpose?" Delilah shrugged.

"Oh, okay," Joel nodded. "Well, thank you."

Delilah laughed as she pulled her blanket up, shifting so that she was facing Joel again. "So, what's so important at Jenner Beach?"

"Ah, someone I know is there. Aimee, she-"

"So, you're going 85 miles and risking your life for a girl?" Delilah concluded before Joel even had the chance to finish.

"She's not just any girl," Joel defended quickly. "She was my girlfriend back in high school. We got back in touch over the radio and we're always saying how much we miss each other and stuff, you know? So I decided, what the heck."

"What the heck," Delilah repeated in agreement, nodding to herself. She didn't fully understand, but maybe that was because she hadn't had someone she cared about like that since her brother.

Wanting to change the subject, she looked at Joel again, "So, my dog saved your life, huh?"

"Yeah," Joel chuckled. "Something came out of a pool and grabbed me. It tried to eat me and Boy attacked it."