𝟏𝟕 ∘ survivors

So this is the final chapter, it's a bit short - kinda more like an epilogue. 

I hope you guys enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed writing it x

——————————

Joel, Delilah and Boy made the journey back to where they had started, but nothing was the same

Joel, Delilah and Boy made the journey back to where they had started, but nothing was the same. Sure, they made sure to either eat or sleep - not both -, stay on high ground, always be aware and look out for each other, but that wasn't it.

Joel and Delilah had changed.

Joel Dawson was no longer scared of what was above ground. He knew now how to protect himself and how to handle a crossbow. He also knew when to run and when to fight, learning that sometimes the things that terrified you were actually more afraid of you. 

He also realised, thanks to one Mav1s bot, that it's not always about the destination. Sometimes, the lesson - or the something worth fighting for - is in the journey.

Delilah Moon finally began to trust those around her, realising that she hadn't lost all of her family after all. In fact, her family had grown. Clyde, Minnow, Brax, Boy and Joel. Her heart hadn't felt so full in a long time.

And again, thanks to a rather intuitive Mav1s bot, Delilah allowed herself to be selfish and want something for once. Want someone.

But they both learned, that they were survivors, and they would continue to be.

They journeyed together, fighting and protecting one another as they went. There were a few close calls, they weren't exactly experts, but they managed to scrape by each time.

Usually thanks to Boy's quick thinking.

The two had managed to grow even closer over their time together, knowing not to waste time when there were monsters lurking around every corner. Plus, it was like after they had confessed to each other, there was nothing else.

They even stopped at the inn they had found on the way. They visited Mav1s' grave, as well as the room they had shared the first time.

What they felt for each other wasn't just a spur of the moment thing like Delilah had been worried about. It was real, and it was amazing.

They made it to Joel's old bunker in exactly seven days. Approaching it, they saw that there had clearly been a monster here, the ground and features above the bunker torn up.

Joel led Delilah down the ladder, the girl carrying Boy in one hand. When they reached the bottom, Joel took the lead with a flashlight and his new gun which he had taken from Cap.

It wasn't like he needed it anymore.

They walked through the bunker quietly in case there was still a monster present. Reaching the main room of the bunker, Joel shone his torch across the room to reveal several people sitting in the dark.