𝟎𝟒 ∘ mildly amusing

Joel is one of my favourite Dylan characters, not gonna lie

——————————

Joel was lying on the bottom, coughing and groaning as he climbed to his feet

Joel was lying on the bottom, coughing and groaning as he climbed to his feet. He tugged his jacket, clearing the dirt from the fabric as he looked around. "Delilah? Brax? You guys didn't leave, did you?"

"Joel?" Delilah called down to him, peering over the edge so that Joel was able to see her. "Are you okay?"

"I mean, I uh, I fell in a hole," he pointed out, scratching his head. "It's fine, I can climb out. I think."

Brax and Delilah watched as he approached one of the walls of the hole, readying himself to use the gaps in the dirt as footholds. Just as he placed his hands on them, a strange chittering sound began to echo in the small space.

"Guys?" Joel called out to the two above, hoping one of them was thinking of something.
Joel immediately stepped back towards the centre of the hole, swallowing roughly as he swore beneath his breath. Boy, sensing the danger Joel was in, began to bark to warn him as he walked around the hole.

As Joel told him to be quiet, Delilah quickly dropped by his side, putting her arms around him to get him to stop barking. She shushed him, stroking his fur to try to keep him calm.

"You guys, you gotta help me, please," Joel pleaded as the sound started to grow louder. "Do you have a rope or something?"

"No, we don't have a rope," Brax told him, dropping his bag to search it.

Joel's eyes widened, mouth falling open slightly, "You have a machete, but not a rope? Are you actually kidding me?"

"Well, Lilah and I aren't stupid enough to not pay attention and end up at the bottom of a hole!" the man growled.

The clicking, chittering noise started to grow louder, Joel turning in a small circle to try and see what it was. Suddenly, a mutated worm of some sort lunged from one of the holes, going straight for the boy.

Joel managed to drop just in time, the creature going right past him. He picked up a bone off of the bottom of the hole, preparing to defend himself if any more of them tried to attack him.

Delilah began to panic, looking around for something that could help. All she could see was trees and hills. And then, as if answering her prayers, she saw two people walking nearby. What were the chances of seeing three new people in the span of fewer than three days?

Leaving Boy, she got to her feet and ran in their direction, almost tripping over once or twice. Out of breath, she stumbled to a stop in front of them, "Do you have a rope?"

"What?" the man asked, shocked by the girl who had seemingly come out of nowhere.

"My friend, he- he fell down a hole and there's something down there with him," she explained quickly in a panic. "We need to get him out. Please, do you have a rope?"