𝟐𝟏 ∘ karma

Sorry, this is a touch late, I really got into a rhythm with Problems and A Little Death. Love my babies

I also realised while writing this that I've been writing boy and girl instead of man and woman because I'm so used to writing fanfics of teenage characters. I've fixed part two to have man/woman and will one day fix part one haha

——————————

Delilah woke with a start, her breathing rapid as she tried to sit up

Delilah woke with a start, her breathing rapid as she tried to sit up. When hands grabbed at her arms and kept her down she began to panic. She started to swat at what was grabbing her out of fear that it may have been the spider that had attacked her.

"Lilah, Lilah, Lilah, calm down! It's just me! It's Joel!" 

The girl stopped swinging at him long enough to bring herself back to reality. Joel was sitting above her with wide eyes, hands pressed down on her arms to keep her in place. Glancing down, she saw a poultice of some sort on her shoulder where the spider's venom had burned her.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled as she laid back down, resting her head in his lap, still exhausted. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise," he told her, leaning down and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I'm just glad that you're alive

He ran his fingers through her hair gently, feeling a weight lifted from his shoulders after seeing her open his eyes. The survivors had told him that she would be fine, that it was only a surface wound, but seeing her like that had still scared him.

"How long was I out?" Delilah asked, focusing on her breathing and the feel of Joel's fingers in her hair.

"Just a day," Joel answered. "It felt like the longest twenty-four hours of my life."

"Where are we? What happened?"

Joel's fingers froze as he pursed his lips. "We're in some small cave. We were attacked - surrounded by those spiders. They got Ava."

Delilah reached a hand up and pressed it to Joel's cheek, the man resting into her palm. "I'm sorry."

He placed a hand over the top of hers, "I'll be okay."

"Is everybody else okay?" the woman asked as she tried to look around, desperately attempting to remember what had happened before she passed out. 

"Everybody else is fine," Joel said quickly, getting her to lay back down. "You really don't remember what happened?"

Delilah pinched her eyes shut, trying to remember. They had been walking through the woods and that was when Boy started to get antsy. And then, the spiders attacked. She remembered Ava being dragged away and their group being outnumbered. She remembered an arrow coming out of nowhere and saving her, seeing Joel almost be cornered, and then. . . 

The woman sat up, pushing through the pain to turn and look directly at her boyfriend. "Where is he?" she demanded.

Joel didn't have to ask who she was talking about. His eyes flickered briefly in the direction of the exit before he could stop himself. Delilah noticed and immediately stood up, walking out of the cave.