𝟏𝟑 ∘ yacht captain

This chapter is still in the third person but is revolves around Joel instead of Delilah

——————————

∙∙·▫▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫𝐉𝐎𝐄𝐋▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫▫·∙∙

"Delilah, wait!" Joel called after the girl, but she just kept walking.

What had just happened?

In the last half an hour they had gone from being best friends to being bitter, to running for their lives, to saving each other, to screaming and now they were going their separate ways.

The moment had definitely gotten away from him, he knew that much.

And she had kissed him. Delilah Moon had kissed him. And then asked whether or not he still loved Aimee.

Could someone love more than one person at one time? Yes.

But that wasn't the case here. He still felt something for Aimee, but not like he used to. Not the way he loved Delilah.

He wanted to tell her, turning in a small circle in search of her, but the dizziness in his head was making his head feel cloudy. She wasn't there anymore.

Deciding that the best option was to walk in a direction he knew, he began to head towards Jenner Beach again. He could feel the toxins running through his body though, even if he weren't completely aware of it happening.

Dear Aimee, it's not looking good. And by "it", I don't remember what I was talking about. I can't feel my feet. Or my face.

Joel narrated in his head like he'd been doing the whole trip. He had planned to recount all of the key events to Aimee when he finally found her. If he found her.

I think I'm dying, he thought to himself, screaming to try and see if it would bring his hearing back. It didn't.

He tried to push through the pain but eventually, it became too much, the toxins overwhelming his body. Joel dropped to the ground, a soft whimper escaping his body as he tried to breathe.

"I'm gonna kill you, Joel Dawson! I'm gonna eat you like broccoli!" a plant that sounded an awful lot like Minnow growled at him.

The plant shifted shape, its voice deepening to sound more like Clyde, "Ferns like these have an antivenom. Good in a pinch for snakes, slugs."

Joel gasped as the plant pointed to the fern. He reached over and grabbed it, shoving some of them into his mouth. His eyes remained on the plant, watching as it morphed again.

"You're going to be okay. Just breathe," he heard Delilah's voice say. 

Joel did as he was told and began to breathe, dragging deep intakes of air into his lungs as he tried to get his body to function normally. He slowly began to get feeling back in his limbs, but he still felt awful.