𝟎𝟗 ∘ tragic backstories

Joel had such a breakthrough during that scene - so proud

——————————

Delilah and Joel kept walking as the sun went down, losing a fair amount of time when they had to face the centipede creature

Delilah and Joel kept walking as the sun went down, losing a fair amount of time when they had to face the centipede creature. It was going to be too dark to see soon, and neither of them wanted to be walking around at that time.

"You had me worried for a moment back there," Delilah admitted as they walked alongside each other, the thought eating away at her.

Boy strolled ahead of them, ears perked so that he would hear if any other monsters were nearby. Delilah was hoping to at least get through until tomorrow without another sighting, though.

Joel looked down at her, brows pulled together. "Me? Why?"

The girl shrugged her backpack up higher, hands tightening around the straps. "I mean. . . you froze, Joel."

His eyes fell as he sighed heavily. "Yeah, sorry. That's something I. . . do. I've been working on it."

"You don't need to apologise."
She noticed how his shoulders seemed to tense at the thought. She was right, he had frozen. Just like he had done many times before.

Except for this time, where he had managed to pull through at the last second.

Delilah glanced up at the boy, examining his features. He still looked a bit shaken after what they'd just been through, his hands reaching behind him to hook his crossbow back to his bag.

Biting her lip in thought, Delilah spoke up after they had gone almost five minutes in silence.
"Truth."

Joel looked down at her with narrowed eyes and one side of his mouth curved up. "I thought it was my turn?"

"What? Afraid to break the rules a little, Joel Dawson?" the girl challenged.

His mouth fell agape for a moment before he smiled. "Not at all, Delilah Moon."

"You said that it's something you do - freezing," Delilah reminded. "So, what was different this time?"

Part of her knew what she wanted to hear, but she also knew what that would mean. That Minnow was right. That maybe what she was beginning to feel beneath the surface wasn't one-sided.

Joel took a moment, trying to think of how to word his answer. "I thought about every other time I'd frozen and nearly every time, someone ended up dying. I didn't want to go through that again."

There was a moment of uncertainty that echoed between them. Delilah was trying to decide on how to proceed, while Joel was contemplating telling her more.

"The day that the monsters came to Fairview, my parents and I tried to get out. We crashed and the car wouldn't move. My mum told me to get out of the car," Joel said, taking a breath.