𝟏𝟓 ∘ even

So close to the end!

Back to Delilah now

——————————

∙∙·▫▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐇▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫▫·∙∙

Delilah walked through the woods with Boy, trying to backtrack as best they could. It took a bit of trial and error, but they eventually made it back to the river where they had left Joel.

The girl wasn't sure what she had expected, but Joel was no longer there. She and Boy searched the whole area where they had been peeling the monstrous slugs from their bodies. Sitting down beside the river, she pulled her bag around to the front.

"He's gone," she sighed, running her hands through her hair roughly. "What do we do, Boy?"

The canine came and sat in front of her, his head falling to the side. He let out a soft whine as if giving her an answer.

Delilah opened the front pocket and took out the photo she had of her family. Unfortunately, it had torn in half from water damage after their little dip in the river. She hadn't thought that it would last long, but holding in torn in her hands broke her heart after seven years.

Taking a shaky breath, she bit back tears as she placed the two pieces back in her bag. As she did, her fingers hit the beads sitting in the pocket. She might not have been able to fix the photo, but maybe she could fix this.

Boy barked, taking a few steps before looking back at her.

"What, Boy? What's wrong?" She asked.

He walked back over and grabbed his by the sleeve, trying to drag her. When he realised he wasn't strong enough to move her, he let go and let out another bark.

Letting go of the beads, Delilah closed the pockets and zipped the bag shut, making sure the blanket was still safely on the inside. "You're right, of course, Boy. We need to know if he made it there safely. And then we can use their radio to contact the mountains ad we'll know where to meet Brax, Minnow and Clyde."

She stood up, slipping the backpack back over her shoulder and giving Boy a quick pet behind his ear. His tongue was hanging out of his mouth as he looked at her happily. He hadn't comprehended Joel yelling at him, so in his mind, he was already forgiven.

As they walked, Delilah had her crossbow at the ready just in case. It was still a bit of a walk to Jenner Beach, that much she knew. But it wasn't too far now - maybe just a couple of more hours.

It wasn't too hard to track Joel for the first part of their journey. Considering that he had been poisoned just like Delilah had, the boy had stumbled through the woods. He had left multiple crushed undergrowths and broken tree limbs in his wake, creating a decent enough path for Delilah and Boy to follow.

"I mean, am I weak if I forgive him?" Delilah asked Boy as they walked. "Because the way he treated us beside the river, that wasn't okay, like, at all. Brax wouldn't be too happy."