Chapter Twenty-Two

TW: Neglect, Bullying, slurs, and substance abuse

Todoroki P.O.V.

He blushed "It's worth it now."

My face went red as he rested his head in my chest. We walked to the infirmary in silence for a while, until I broke the silence. "So, how did you manage to fall off of the balcony?" I instantly regretted asking him anything as soon as he lifted his head off my chest. "Ah well Its kinda of embarrassing actually." I smiled at him "It's fine, I'll try not to laugh." He giggled which just made me blush even more. "W-well I couldn't sleep last night again, so I got up and sat on the ledge of the balcony. To you know get some fresh air. But then I heard a loud rumbling noise near the hospital and it startled me so much that I fell off..." He mumbled the last part, but I still understood what he said.

"Oh yeah I heard what happened last night." He looked up at me, almost shocked. "O-oh? What was it?" "Oh, I guess you wouldn't know since you were in the infirmary, but Mr. Aizawa, Best Jeanist, and Mirko ambushed Silence last night. Apparently he still got away and even injured Mirko. But now they know what his villain suite is at least. Kinda scary if you ask me." He looked.... Sad, almost guilt ridden? "Hey what's a matter?" He looked up and the grief that was on his face, disappeared instantly. "Oh, nothing. Just worried I guess." I smiled at him. "Don't worry, I'll protect you." I felt my face get hot and he blushed before resting his head on my chest again. It felt like everything was right in the world again.

Eventually we got back to the infirmary. I might have.... taken the longer way. I asked Midoriya of course, and he agreed that we needed some fresh air, even though we were inside. When we got there Recovery Girl came over yelling at Midoriya about how irresponsible he is. Then she pointed at an empty bed and told me to dump him there. I put him down gently instead. My face went red when he held on to my neck as I lowered him. He winced in pain when he adjusted himself. "W-well I have to go back to class now." He grabbed my sleeve. "D-do you h-have to go?" He looked down bashfully. I smiled. "I would stay, but I doubt Mr. Aizawa would allow me to do that." Then recovery wheeled over in her chair to check on Midoriya. "Actually he called me to tell me that you two were on your way, and that you could stay if you want to. But there will be make up work for the both of you."

Midoriya looked at me. "Y-you don't h-have to s-stay if you d-don't want to." I sat down on the bed next to him. "Of course I want to stay." He smiled and looked down blushing. "Why is he so adorable?"

Izuku P.O.V.

"Of course I want to stay." I smiled and looked down. After Recovery Girl healed me some more, she left us alone and we sat there for a second in silence.

"So, since we are going to be here a while, did you want to hear my story." He seemed a bit surprised. "I-if you don't w-want to its fine! Y-you just a-asked to b-before." He smiled. "Its' not that I'm just surprised that you brought it up. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable." I frowned. "I'm never going to be comfortable, but I think I should tell you." He nodded his head.

Flashback; Young Izuku before being diagnosed with quirklessness

I don't have many memories of my dad. But the ones that I do are mainly good ones, he was supportive, kind, funny, and always knew how to make me smile. But that changed once I was diagnosed as quirkless. My mother was heartbroken, crying the entire way home from the doctors. She acted like I was dead. It was hard enough knowing that I might never be a hero, but to see my own mother to treat me like I died. It was heart breaking. When my mom told my dad, he pretended not to care in front of me. He even came over and patted my head and smiled. "Don't worry Izuku I'll always love you no matter what." That was the last thing my dad ever said to me, because later that night there was shouting from my mother. "You can't leave me with him! DO YOUR PART YOU BITCH. I DON'T WANT TO RAISE THAT BURDEN BY MYSELF." The next thing I heard was a door slam and my mom sobbing next to it.