The past.

11 years ago.

"The only way to stop nine-tails fox is splitting his chakra and soul and sealing it" said Minato.
" That would result in three parts: Yin chakra, Yang chakra and Nine-tails soul. And then they must be sealed into my children" said the exhausted Kushina who had just given birth to three kids, Naruto, Menma and Narumi.
"But....the most important part is sealing of its soul, if it is failed to seal then the only way left will be Reaper Death Seal" said Hiruzen.

Everyone was scared of the thought of using Reaper Death seal.
"If soul is not sealed then the chakra will start possessing the kids leading to their death and also.....destruction of the village" warned Hiruzen.
Everyone understood how crucial the part to seal the soul was.

"Dont worry Hiruzen-sama my children are capable of holding this demon. The soul shall be sealed within Naruto" said Minato looking at his eldest son who was sleeping quietly.

Itachi and Shisui were somehow controlling nine-tails with their Sharingan but they could loose it any minute.
"We are lossing him Hokage-sama, sealing has to be performed quickly" said Itachi.
Itachi was young , his eyes were bleeding. Anymore would take a huge toll on his body.

"Your job is done Itachi, leave remaining things to us" said Minato.
Without wasting anytime Minato, Kushina and Hiruzen took their position and performed the jutsu.

"Fuuinjutsu: Divine Three Pillars"

Nine-tails growled loudly as his chakra was slowly extracted and getting sealed inside Menma and Narumi.
After the chakra was sealed the shinobis and villagers surrounding them were half happy but they knew what was coming next.
"Now is the most important part" were the murmers within the villagers.

Every shinobi and every villager prayed for the success of the seal.

When the soul was getting sealed inside Naruto a large green coloured light scattered from Naruto which stopped the sealing.
'What is this happening why is soul not getting sealed' thought Minato. 'It is as if Naruto is not allowing the sealing to happen'
Soon the chakra started making a cloak around Narumi and Menma and the sealing was getting weak. Itachi used his Sharingan to stop the possession but in an instant he fainted due to overuse of Sharingan. Shisui was no better.
'I think my time has come' thought Hiruzen.

Hiruzen ran towards the soul and performed the hand signs for Reaper Death Seal. Minato and every other shinobi understood the signs as they stood helpless to the situation. ' is my son so weak to not even hold soul of the beast' thought Minato.

As Hiruzen performed The Reaper Death Seal, the soul of nine-tails fox was sealed in exchange of the 3rd Hokage's life. Minato was crying at his failure, at his son's failure. Villagers were also sad at their Hokage's death. Kushina fell on the land due to lack of energy , before loosing her consciousnes all she thought was her son's inability to hold a soul.

Minato looked at Menma and Narumi who were severly injured due to nine-tails cloak. Itachi and Shisui were unconscious and Sarutobi Hiruzen was dead.' Nothing would have happened if he wouldn't have resisted the sealing' Minato thought defeated.

Since that day Naruto was held responsible for death of 3rd Hokage and was bullied by villagers and neglected by his parents.