Tutoring

Claire's pov

I rushed through my shower, becoming more annoyed by the minute that my plans for the afternoon had been ruined. This is so stupid. Why do I have to learn Italian anyway? Literally every freakin' person in this country speaks English, except for like the ninety-year-old great-grandmas and I don't plan on talking to any of them soon. Besides, even if I happen to run into one of them, all I have to say is I'm hungry and the rest of the conversation will be strictly non-verbal as a fifteen course "light Italian lunch" is shoved down my throat.

When I get down to the living room, I see my uncle and a really pretty woman sitting next to each other on the couch talking quietly. As soon as Uncle EJ notices me, he stands up and politely introduces me to my tutor. Her name is Sofia Artino. My uncle tells me to address her as Signorina Artino but she corrects him, preferring I simply call her Sofia. Just witnessing her interact with my uncle for these few brief moments, it's quite obvious how attracted they are to each other. I'm really hoping I can use this to my advantage.

"I'll leave the two of you to get started on your lessons now," my uncle says, smiling brightly, his playboy charm oozing from every pore as he never takes his eyes off Ms. Sofia.

"Grazie, Signor Dimerra (Thank you, Mr. Dimerra)," she replies coyly, batting her eyes in faux innocence at my oh so charming pretty boy uncle.

Pulling me to the side out of earshot, my uncle keeps a firm hold on my arm as he threatens, "Behave yourself and listen to your tutor. Capisci (Understand)?"

Annoyed with him acting all parental, I just sigh and roll my eyes in response as I try to pull away from him.

"Lose the attitude, piccola ragazza (little girl), before I have to spank it out of you." Keeping hold of my arm, my uncle smacked me firmly on the bottom.

"Whatever," I replied dismissively, still irritated I'm not on a shopping spree with my aunt right now.

"I'm not joking, Claire. This is your last warning to conduct yourself in a polite and respectful manner in all dealings with your tutor if you don't want to face some very unpleasant consequences."

Despite his stern tone, I brushed him off.

"Are you finished?" I asked, perhaps a tad rudely.

Narrowing his eyes, my uncle smacked my butt one more time.

"Watch yourself," he said, finally releasing his hold on me as he pushed me aside to address my tutor. Taking her hand in his, he gently kissed her knuckles and flashed his killer smile. "È stato un piacere conoscerla, Signorina Artino. (It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss Artino). Non vedo l'ora di parlarti di nuovo presto (I look forward to speaking with you again soon)."

"Il piacere è stato tutto mio, Signor Dimerra. The pleasure was all mine, Mr. Dimerra. Fino a quando ci incontriamo di nuovo. Until we meet again." She winked at my uncle before walking over to me. "Cominciamo con le nostre lezioni. Let's start with our lessons. Lo facciamo? Shall we, Claire?"

"I guess," I replied, in a bored defeated tone.

"You mean, credo di sì. I think so." Putting her arm around my shoulders, she led me over to the table where we'd be working, her four inch heels clicking noisily atop the wood floor as she walked briskly.

"Okaaay," I said slightly annoyed, realizing this is going to be a long three hours.

When she sat down next to me, she asked, "Tuo zio è severo. Sì? Your uncle is strict. Yes?"

The way she said it, I wasn't quite sure if she was worried, intrigued, or impressed.

"He's all talk," I said, unaware at the time how that statement actually couldn't have been further from the truth.