Replacing

Claire's pov

I ran up to my room and called my aunt. I told her about everything that's been happening lately and how upset I am. After talking to her for almost forty minutes, I started to get tired. Collapsing face first on my bed, I cried myself to sleep that night. I wasn't feeling any better the next morning when I woke up. My butt was throbbing painfully and my feelings were still hurt. My asshole of an uncle beat me with his belt and threatened to take my horse away. I hate Uncle EJ so much right now.

Looking at my phone, I noticed I had several missed texts from Samantha last night wondering where I was and if I was still coming to her pool party. Dante even texted me a few times too. I started texting them both back explaining everything that happened last night between me and my dick of an uncle. Venting to my friends is the only thing making me feel even a tiny bit better right now.

My therapy session was short-lived, however, when my uncle knocked once while simultaneously entering my room.

"Didn't anyone teach you to knock?" I asked, with a slight hint of attitude, slight.

"I did knock," my uncle said, approaching me as I laid on my stomach on my bed.

"Yeah, but most people wait til the person says come in before barging through the door." Again, a twinge of annoyance may have underladen my tone, just a twinge.

"Well, I'm not most people in case you haven't noticed, brat." My uncle stood at the foot of my bed now. "I'm a Dimerra and you are too so you better start acting like one." He crossed his arms over his chest, challenging me with his look and posture.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked angrily, accepting the challenge while still texting my friends.

"Gimme that." My uncle rudely ripped the phone out of my hands mid-text.

"Hey!" I started to protest but shut my mouth as soon as I saw him reading my texts.

"So I'm an asshole, huh?" he asked facetiously, sounding more amused than anything else.

Even I'm not dumb enough to answer that question.

He chuckled as he placed my phone in the breast pocket of his suit coat.

I knew better than to argue, my uncle holds all the cards afterall, plus my throbbing asscheeks just reminded me of another reason to keep my mouth shut.

My uncle turned to leave, stopping as he heard me say, "You never answered my question."

Turning around to give me his full attention, he waited patiently for me to clarify.

"What did you mean, I need to start acting like a Dimerra?" Like what the Hell does that even mean? Seriously.

"There's a hierarchy in this family, Claire," he paused, giving me a stern look, "and you're at the bottom of it, little girl." Walking away, he stopped in my doorway, turning toward me once again. "Your grandfather, father, and I are at the top. Impara il tuo posto, piccola ragazza. Learn your place, little girl," he translated, before continuing in English, thankfully, "and learn it quickly." He winked and flashed his pretty boy smile before walking out.

Whatever.

I shook my head, calling out, "Thanks for the useless explanation," despite knowing my uncle was already well out of earshot. Learn my place. You learn your place, jerk.

Three days later

Claire's pov

I was sitting gingerly at the table in the living room waiting for Sofia since it was time for my Italian lesson. She should have been here ten minutes ago but maybe she was still upstairs with my uncle. Sometimes she'd arrive early and conduct a private lesson with him in his bedroom. I don't mind, it's less studying for me and she makes my uncle happy so it's a win-win.