Surprising

Claire's pov

I start walking toward the gazebo so I can explain my present to my grandfather, when I hear Uncle EJ laughing his ass off as he recalls what I bought when we went shopping together.

Standing next to my grandfather, I say, "It's a thermometer, Nonno (Grandfather), but it goes in the ear." Taking it out of its protective packaging, I demonstrate how it works. "See, like this," I say, putting it in my ear and pressing the button. I show him my temperature reading on the tiny screen. "Now you can get rid of your old one," I laugh.

Finally understanding the meaning behind my gift, Grandfather laughs right along with Uncle EJ and I as he practices taking my temperature.

"Sei una ragazza molto intelligente (You're a very clever girl), Francesca. Thank you for the incredibly thoughtful gift, my dear." Grandfather pulled me into a side hug, smiling and kissing my cheek. "Perhaps I should keep the old one as a backup, or simply for nostalgia's sake," he said, grinning slyly as he winked at me.

Not gonna lie, it was a little embarrassing telling my friends the story behind my gag gift but if you can't be honest and make a fool out of yourself with your friends, you must live a sad lonely life. They thought it was really funny and after the scary confrontation with my uncle in my bedroom, we needed some comic relief, badly. Despite dreading the uncomfortable conversation I was going to have with my uncle later and the one my friends were going to have with their brothers, we all still managed to set our impending doom aside and enjoy the rest of the party. I even managed to sneak in one more kiss with Dante before the night ended.

Both Sergio and Chris were smiling when they told Samantha, Alex, and Dante it was time to go home so I'm pretty sure they're unaware of what took place in my bedroom earlier. After saying goodbye to my friends, I nervously followed Uncle EJ inside. I kissed my grandfather goodnight and told him happy birthday again before going upstairs with my uncle. Thankfully, Uncle EJ said our conversation could wait until morning so I went to bed with my derriere unscathed.

The next morning

EJ's pov

"There's quite an interesting story on page three, Elliot James. One I think you'll take a special interest in," my father commented, as I picked up today's newspaper before taking a seat at the table to enjoy my morning cuppa.

"Oh, and what would that be?" I said playing along, pretending to have no clue as to what my father could be referring to. "The Borsa Italiana have a favorable day?"

"Controlla un po 'più in basso nella pagina, figlio mio (Check a little further down the page, my son)," Father directed.

"Ah, would this be what piqued your interest? Bizzarre uccisioni brutali di due fratelli sconcertano gli investigatori (Bizarre brutal killings of two brothers baffle investigators)," I casually read the tagline.

"Continua a leggere, figlio mio (Keep reading, my son)."

Obliging my father, I read on, "Two of the Scalucci brothers were apparently tortured and killed Sunday night as investigators continue to search for clues in this bizarre double homicide that has police scratching their heads while they try to determine a motive for this brutal crime. The Scalucci family is rumored to be involved in organized crime, prompting investigators to suspect this may have been a revenge killing exacted by a rival family." I stopped reading there purposely, knowing that wasn't the part of the story that aroused suspicion in my father. "Sounds like business as usual, Father. I don't understand what's so interesting about it?"

"Continua a leggere, figlio mio (Keep reading, my son)," he repeated dryly.

"What baffles investigators is the condition of the bodies when they were found. The brothers were bound at the knees and elbows with braided rope made of horsehair. Their bodies had significant burns covering a large surface area of skin. Police believe the brothers were alive at the time since emergency personnel responders speculated massive blood loss to be the cause of death, pending investigation by the coroner as a full autopsy will be conducted. What has investigators most confused is that both brothers were missing one eye, one tooth, one hand and one foot when the bodies were found, prompting one authority to label this as a crime of biblical proportions." Setting the paper down, I looked at Father. "Hmmm, that is indeed an interesting turn of events," I surmised, taking a sip of my tea.