Worrying

Later that afternoon

EJ's pov

"Where's Salvatore? Did he leave for home already?" I asked Father, hopeful I'd hear a yes.

"No, he's visiting with some of the men he previously worked with at the factory. He said he'd be back in time for dinner."

"Father, exactly how are you and Salvatore related? I know he's not your first cousin. Is he a very very distant cousin?"

"He's not blood related, Son. My father and his father were best friends, more like brothers, so they would always refer to Sal and I as cousins when we were kids."

"Is his family connected?"

"No, Son. In fact, he doesn't even have any living relatives. He's the last of his bloodline."

"Thank God," I murmured under my breath.

"What was that, Son?"

"Niente, Padre (Nothing, Father). I didn't realize Sal never had any children."

"He and his first wife adopted a son but he committed suicide when he was a teenager. You are not to bring that up around him. Capiscimi (Understand me)?"

"Si signore (Yes sir). Don't worry, Father, I won't say anything. Why didn't he and his second wife have any children?"

"She couldn't. Why so many questions about Salvatore?"

"No reason, just curious, Father."

My father frowned as he looked at me, quite suspicious of the motivation behind my inquiries regarding his "cousin".

Claire's pov

I've managed to hide out in my room all day since breakfast, but now it's time to head downstairs for dinner. We're eating early tonight since Uncle EJ and Grandfather have some family business to attend to and they plan on being out quite late. I'm looking forward to a few hours of peace and quiet while they're gone.

At first I was really dreading seeing Grandfather's creepy cousin again but I feel better about it after talking to Samantha. I called her as soon as I got to my room after breakfast and told her what happened. She said that in Europe people are much more touchy feely than in America. They hug and kiss each other all the time as a way of saying hello and goodbye. She said it's no big deal.

She also told me it's especially common for older relatives to fawn all over the kids. There is no such thing as personal space here, she said. Getting accustomed to that was one of the hardest things for her to adjust to when her family moved here. I can see why. It's weird to me to have people you don't know hugging and kissing you and being all up on ya. I feel kinda bad now for thinking Cousin Sal was a weirdo.

After having a long nap and a hot shower, I started getting ready for dinner. I actually managed to make it on time and I was appropriately dressed for once. Grandfather looked shocked but quite pleased that I wasn't late.

When I took my usual seat between my uncle and grandfather, his cousin said, "Why don't you come sit by me, Claire?" as he patted the empty seat to his left. "I haven't seen you all day."

"I'm fine right here," I said timidly. "This is my usual seat."

"Francesca, remember my rules. You will honor our guest's wishes. Do not be rude and do as Salvatore has requested please, without argument." Grandfather spoke firmly as he gave me a steely look, warning me not to challenge him.

Reluctantly, I changed seats to sit next to his cousin.

"You can sit on my lap if you prefer, bambina (baby girl)," Cousin Sal said, chuckling as he patted his thighs. "I don't bite."