Forgiving

Later that evening

Claire's pov

I managed to avoid my grandfather all day but now Alfred has called me down for dinner, so I'm going to have to face him. I really don't want to see him and I sure as Hell don't want to talk to him. My bottom is literally one giant blue and purple bruise and my upper thighs are a wide swath of inflamed bright red welts. My grandfather didn't spank me, he beat me and I hate him for that.

When I came down for dinner, Uncle EJ and Grandfather were already seated at the table.

"Buonasera (Good evening), Francesca," my grandfather greeted me politely.

"What's so good about it?" I mumbled softly.

"You're a smart girl, I'm sure you can think of something," Grandfather replied sardonically.

Ha ha, very funny, I thought to myself. I better just keep my mouth shut before I get another beating.

"Claire, I need you to groom Fuoco this week and clean his stall after you're done tending to Tuono," my uncle stated firmly.

"Why can't you do it? Fuoco's your horse, not mine," I replied with attitude. I can't help it. My butt hurts, I'm still upset with my grandfather and now I'm annoyed my uncle is passing his responsibilities off on me.

"I'm well aware whom Fuoco belongs to. The question is, are you well aware who's in charge of you?" my stupid uncle countered.

"I'm not hungry. May I be excused?" I asked angrily. I'm so frustrated right now, I just want to scream then cry my eyes out.

"No, eat your dinner," my uncle ordered sternly, as he continued to shovel food in his mouth.

"I said, I'm not hungry." I stood up quickly, shoving my plate toward the center of the table. "And you might be able to tell me what to do, but you can't force me to eat." I threw my napkin down and stomped off to my room. Surprisingly, neither my uncle nor grandfather stopped me. They didn't come up to my room later either. For the second night in a row, I cried myself to sleep.

The next morning when I awoke, I stayed in my room all day again, surviving on granola bars and tap water. As dinnertime neared, I waited for Alfred to call me down to eat but he never did. My uncle and grandfather didn't even bother to check on me. I cried myself to sleep for the third straight night.

The next day, I went right to the stables after rolling out of bed and getting dressed. I took care of my uncle's horse and cleaned out his stall like he asked, then I had a private little therapy session with Tuono. I poured my heart out to my four-legged equine best friend. Surprisingly, Tuono listened intently without passing judgment. I knew I loved that horse for a reason. Unfortunately, Tuono did not offer me any advice on how to get past what my grandfather did to me. Maybe I should find a two-legged licensed therapist to help me.

After taking care of the horses and completing all my chores at the stables, I went straight back to my room and remained there until dinner. My uncle came knocking about twenty minutes beforehand.

"Come in," I said quietly and sadly. I didn't really want to talk to anyone but by the same token, I was tired of being alone.

"Get dressed and get your ass down to dinner," my uncle crudely ordered, upon entering my bedroom.

I looked at him but didn't say anything, instead I quickly turned away as I felt the tears welling in my eyes. I shook my head no in response, realizing my voice would surely betray me by alerting my uncle to my incredibly fragile, unstable, and emotionally vulnerable state of mind.

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, Claire. Get up, get dressed, and be on time to dinner. No exceptions. Capiscimi (Understand me)?"

Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to respond si signore (yes sir) but I really wanted, no I needed, my uncle to recognize I was silently crying for help. I haven't felt this sad and alone since my mom died. At least then my father and aunt came into my life and I had people to lean on, to support me. Granted my father had no idea what he was doing at first but when he realized that we moved in with my aunt and I started going to therapy.