Posturing

Claire's pov

It's been two weeks since my friends and I got caught drinking Limoncello in the woods. My grounding should be over now so I went down to breakfast to ask my uncle if I could have my phone back.

"AUNT LEXIE!" I screamed excitedly, seeing her sitting at the dining room table. "YOU'RE HERE!" I ran up to give her a hug.

"Take it down a few decibels, brat. It's way too early for your obnoxious high-pitched squealings." My uncle frowned at me before going back to sipping his tea and reading his morning paper.

Ignoring her annoying half-brother, my aunt hugged me, saying, "Ciao, bambina (Hi, baby). Come sta la mia nipote preferita (How's my favorite niece)?"

"Aunt Lexie, I'm your only niece." I smiled and sat down beside her to have my breakfast.

"That doesn't mean it's not true," she replied, motioning one of the servants over to refill her coffee and take my breakfast order.

"I didn't know you were coming to visit. How come you didn't tell me?" I whined, pretending to be offended, when in reality I didn't care one bit. I was just so excited to see her.

"Beh, ho pensato che sarebbe stata una bella sorpresa (Well, I thought it would be a nice surprise)."

Interrupting her, I said, "I don't know what you just said, Aunt Lexie, but it doesn't matter. I'm so glad you're here, unless you just came to punish me for drinking Limoncello with my friends a couple weeks ago. You didn't, did you?" I asked worriedly. I don't need another lecture and I surely don't need another spanking, even if it is from my soft-handed aunt.

"No, baby, your uncle and grandfather assured me you've learned your lesson. Hanno ragione (They're correct)?"

"Yes, Aunt Lexie," I replied softly, hanging my head. I really am ashamed of what we did and all the trouble we caused.

"I assure you that's not the purpose of my visit." My aunt patted my hand reassuringly.

"Wait!" I exclaimed. "Does this mean we get to go on the shopping spree you got me for my birthday gift? Is that why you came?" I was practically out of breath as I spoke so quickly, now unable to contain my excitement over her surprise visit.

"One question at a time, love." She patted my hand again. "Relax, breathe, Claire," she teased, seeing how worked-up and flustered I was becoming.

"Maybe if you paid more attention to your Italian tutor you'd know what she said," my uncle replied dryly.

I sneered at him before turning my attention back to my aunt.

"So can we, Aunt Lexie? Can we go shopping today with the certificate you gave me for my birthday? Please," I begged whinily, tugging on her arm.

Patting my hand gently again, she replied, "Yes, sweetheart, all in good time."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so excited," I said, smiling from ear to ear. I continued to tug on her arm, causing some coffee to slosh out of her cup onto the tablecloth as I bounced up and down in my seat.

Unbeknownst to me, my grandfather had entered the room.

"That's quite enough, Francesca," he admonished. "Calmati e fai colazione, Nipotina (Settle down and eat your breakfast, Granddaughter)." My grandfather gave me a disapproving look, indicating he was in a pissy mood.

Successfully squelching my good mood, I frowned slightly as I replied, "Scusa, Nonno (Sorry, Grandfather)." My uncle smirked at my chastisement so I stuck my tongue out at him and mumbled, "Jerk," a little too loudly. Unfortunately, my grandfather both saw and heard me insult my uncle.