Rebuilding

EJ's pov

After the investigators collected all the necessary evidence, we started the never-ending process of clearing the debris from the fire and rebuilding the stables. Thankfully, Father and Lorenzo spearheaded the project as I became physically ill anytime I went near that area. Claire's still having an extremely difficult time as she mourns the loss of her horse as well.

Even though Father has promised to gift us each a horse once the stables are rebuilt, neither one of us is ready to even consider replacing Tuono or Fuoco anytime soon. We're both still grieving the loss of our beloved pets and have a long way to go until the healing process is complete. Claire and I have spent quite a bit of time in session with Dr. Biasi these past few weeks trying to come to terms with our feelings.

Not surprisingly, we've both been harboring quite a bit of anger since the night of the fire and Gabriella's been trying to assist us in finding constructive outlets of release. Claire and I have spent some time at the gun range and I've committed to resuming my morning jogging sessions on a more regular basis.

"Uncle EJ, can I go jogging with you tomorrow morning?" the whiny one begged me, as we sat down to dinner.

"No," I replied flatly.

"Whyyyy nnnnott?" she asked, in an even whinier tone. Like nails on a chalkboard, I swear.

"Because you'll just slow me down and I don't want to waste my time waiting for you to trudge along behind me at a snail's pace."

"Pleeeeease, Uncle EJ. I promise I'll try to keep up with you. I miss riding Tuono so much. This'll give me a good reason to spend some time outside without feeling so sad. Please, can I come with you?" the privileged princess begged pathetically.

"Of course you may go jogging with your uncle tomorrow, Nipotina (Granddaughter)," Father interjected, overriding my decision without a second thought.

"Yay, I can't wait," she exclaimed, clapping her hands as she bounced in her seat. "Grazie, Nonno (Thank you, Grandfather). This is gonna be so much fun, Uncle EJ. I'm so excited," the pain in my ass replied, as she continued to celebrate her victory.

"Si, Grazie, Padre (Yes, thank you, Father). Grazie mille (Thanks so much.)," I retorted sarcastically.

"Sei il benvenuto, mio ​​caro ragazzo (You are welcome, my dear boy)," Father smirked, as he winked at me.

"Nonno, posso alzarmi da tavola, per favore (Grandfather, can I get up from the table, please)? I want to pick out the perfect jogging outfit for tomorrow."

The simpleton grinned like an idiot, giddy with the prospect of being gifted time alone with yours truly. Can't say I blame her though, I am quite a fabulous specimen afterall. I mean, who wouldn't want to be around the wonder that is me? You'd have to be crazy not to jump at the chance to bask in the presence of my greatness. Hopefully some of it rubs off on the rube. Can't have her tarnishing the Dimerra reputation.

"Certo che puoi, mia bellissima ragazza (Of course you may, my beautiful girl)," Father replied, motioning for one of the servants to clear her plate. "Grazie per aver chiesto in Italiano (Thank you for asking in Italian)."

After Claire scampered off to prepare for her morning of awesomeness, courtesy of my benevolence, Father turned his attention to me.

"We have a long night ahead of us, my son, for there is much business to discuss. I suggest you make yourself comfortable in my study."

"Si, Padre (Yes, Father). I shall wait for you there."

The next morning

Somewhat reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and got dressed to go on my morning jog. I briefly considered waking the trollop in my bed to tell her to make herself scarce by the time I return, but then thought better of it. I may want her to please me if I'm feeling energized when I come back from my run.