5| School

Rayland

The blaring noise coming from the alarm clock jolted me out of my bed. It's Monday and I start school with the triplets and Blake. The triplets seem to be avoiding me and Blake shoots glares at me everytime we cross paths. I fell asleep around four o'clock leaving me with only three hours of sleep.

The last few days have been difficult, I've been feeling nauseous, irritable -which my step-brothers don't appreciate-, and barely getting any sleep. When I do, I'm awoken by a nightmare which is more like a memory. I still can't find my pills and the withdrawal is not getting any better.

7:19

I get up and take a shower, my vanilla brown sugar body wash covering my body. I rinse conditioner out of my curly hair. I dry off and get out my outfit.

I put on the uniform given to me, an unzipped black jacket on my shirt, and brushed my hair into a low ponytail. I was the only person awake and I had no idea how to get to school.

Fifteen minutes later, a tired looking trio walks down the stairs. Jayden and Jaylen coordinating outfits, white collared shirts and khaki pants with white shoes. Jaxon not getting the memo, wearing a light blue collared shirt, navy blue sweatpants, and black shoes.

Once they notice my presence, their tired faces turn to scowls.

Who the fuck pissed in their cereal?

I'm too lost in my thoughts to realize my eldest stepbrother is arguing with the triplets.

"I don't want to take the brat to school. What would people think of us?" Jayden exclaims.

"I don't give two shits about what people think about you and you shouldn't either. You either take her to school or you're all walking." Micheal responds.

Shuffled footsteps make their way downstairs, Hayden tiredly rubbing his eyes in his school uniform. He glances around until his eyes land and me and shoots me a smile. I sent a small one back.

"Come on Ray, don't want to be late now do we?" Jayden says with a smile on his face.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, only to realize that they're 'nice' in front of the youngest Brown. I can use this to my advantage. 

"Of course we wouldn't, let's go." I say over enthusiastically skipping out into the garage.

I can hear groans following behind me.

The car ride was eventful. Jayden and Jaylen wouldn't stop arguing on who would choose what music we would listen to, Blake kept hitting them in the head while he loudly listened to videos on his phone, and Jaxon's distracted driving didn't help my stress at all. It gave me painful memories.

"Get your ass in the car little bitch."

"Is this too fast for you?"

"Does the little bitch want me to stop?"

The memories coming back in slow segments, my mind not being able to prevent them from coming.

I didn't realize the tears rolling down my face until something wet hit my palm. I harshly wiped my eyes, whipping my head around making sure no one saw me. Jayden and Jaylen were in a full on fight next to me in the backseat - children, literal children- and Blake was sitting in the front seat smirking in the mirror, his green eyes making direct contact with my hazel ones.

The car came to an abrupt stop, jerking everyone forward in the vehicle. We stopped in an empty neighborhood surrounded by bland houses.

"Get out." Jaxon's voice made me flinch.