18| Sweetheart

Third Person

(TW: Child Abuse)

The eerie silence was a common occurrence in the household. The Saturday morning started off with orange juice, buttered toast, and an empty house. Rayland doodled on a stray piece of paper, trying to keep her mind occupied.

The uncanny feeling that wrestled in her stomach was confirmed when she heard a large bang downstairs. Then the hoarse voice that caused the noise made her cower in her closet, one of the worst places she could have chosen.

She started to hear footsteps coming from the bottom of the stairs which made the anxiety in her stomach bubble up to her chest. As the footsteps grew louder and closer, so did her heartbeat. Taunting noises and door breaks were heard until the closest one was heard.

She saw tiny pieces of wood peeking in from the closet she was hiding in.

"Where are you hiding, sweetheart?" He says in a sickly sweet voice that makes Rayland gag, bile starts coming up her throat but she pushes it back down for the sake of not getting caught.

"Are you over here?" She hears a swish of a curtain, she shrinks closer behind the pile of clothes she calls a hiding spot.

"How about over here? Come on, where are you, sweetheart?" She hears a thud and a groan. All of a sudden, the closet door is ripped off its hinges and reveals her worst nightmare. There stood Darren with a sultry smirk that made the bile rise again.

He dragged her hair out of the closet as she tried to resist but it's no use. The grip on her ponytail made hot tears stream down her face. He threw her to the ground, hitting her head on the hard floor.

The more he striked, the more Rayland fell in and out of consciousness. The more he kicked, the more blood she felt trickle down her face, staining her white t-shirt. The more he hit, the more she watched her life flash before her eyes, feeling a final kick to the head and her eyes closing for the final time.

"Rayland." She was shaken awake, she shot up from the bed in a dazed state. She glanced around the room, viewing the tired yet worried faces of her two oldest stepbrothers. Micheal and Liam stood there, etched frowns bestowed across their faces.

"Guys, I'm fine. I'm sorry I woke you up." She covered her face with her blanket but not long before it was ripped off.

"Fine? Rayland, that was anything but fine, you were shaking and crying in your sleep. I've had my fair share of nightmares and that sure as hell was not one." Micheal said frantically, clutching his brown head of hair in his hands, Liam nodded agreeing.

"Look, I appreciate that you care, I really do but I'm fine, it was just a silly nightmare." She lied and it was obvious they didn't believe it.

"Silly nightmare, is that really what you're going with? I really don't think you understand-." Micheal started but was interrupted by a soft shove by Liam.

"Sweetheart, we just-." He was cut off by Rayland.

"Please, don't call me that." She pleaded, the boys were taken aback but nodded nonetheless.

"Pumpkin, we just want to make sure you know we care." Liam sighed, Micheal nodded. "It hasn't been that long but we have grown to love you like a sister during your time here. We care about you." He finished, reaching his arms out for a hug.

Rayland digested these words that made her heart melt, she has only heard those words from Weston, Ryan, and her mother. These words made her smile and return Liam's hug.