𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"Please don't," Nozomi said after getting inside the car.

It was silent for a few minutes before Ijichi bursted out laughing. Nozomi could only rub her temple in embarrassment.

After her breakdown, the two students fell asleep in the courtyard. Fortunately, Ijichi was the one who woke them up before they could get in trouble.

"I even got a picture," Ijichi said in-between laughter. The man is aware of Inumaki's liking towards her which he finds much more amusing.

A chagrined expression played on Nozomi's face. Not that she was bothered by the fact that they cuddled on the open area, but she was more concerned that someone saw her vulnerable state.

It was mortifying for her.

"What happened anyway? Wh-"

"I had another nightmare," she cut him off, looking at the window beside her.

"It's about Megumi again." She added with a grim expression.

The car was silent after that, he knew how Nozomi took it to heart when her twin brother disappeared in front of her eyes. Itadori's death triggered her unresolved trauma.

Not that she's blaming him or anything.

Ijichi pulled up at a local ramen house. Nozomi was in a daze that she didn't even notice Ijichi already opened the door for her.

"I already had breakfast," she stated, stepping out of the car. 

The man gave her a disappointed look knowing well that breakfast was only a cup of black coffee.

"Coffee is not considered as a meal."

Nozomi gave him a sheepish smile before they stepped inside the busy shop. The owner waved at them, directing the two to a vacant table.

"The usual?" The waiter asked, giving them both a warm smile as the two nodded.

After he excused himself, Ijichi turned to the teen who was fiddling with her pendant.

"I know I kept on telling you this, but it wasn't your fault."

Nozomi let out a tired sigh as she plopped her chin in her palm. 

"I know but if I was quick enough to move that time.. maybe I could have saved him." A solemn look appeared on her face before masking it with her usual frown.

"It has been what? 8 years? and yet we couldn't find any trace of him. Who knew if he's already dead."

Ijichi was speechless, he didn't know how to comfort the girl. Sugarcoating his words isn't the best option.

Luckily, their food came on time. The two silently ate while enjoying each other's company. After that, they went back to the car since he's dropping her off at the station.

"You know," Nozomi suddenly spoke in the backseat, startling the poor man who jumps in his seat.

"Stop doing that," Ijichi scolded in a playful tone as Nozomi chuckled.

She looked at him in the rearview mirror, holding a genuine smile.

"I never really understand why I'm involved in the jujutsu world but... I am forever grateful for you, Ijichi-san."

He took a sharp intake of breath as the words slowly sink into his brain.

'I am forever grateful for you, Ijichi-san' Ijichi suppressed a cry. 

"I am also grateful for you, Nomi-chan. I-I promise to be the best father figure you'll look up to."

He couldn't help but feel emotional, it has been a while since someone openly appreciates him.