Chapter 1 - Arrival

(the picture on top is Adam)

In Sydney, there was a square and a perpendicular road that led to a monumental gray building. That side of the road was busy and packed. The entrance of the building was made of glass, and the door was open. Inside, there was a lobby with reception and some vending machines. After that, there was a corridor that led to a spacious room with doors wide open; it was the main auditorium of one of the most famous churches in Australia.

It was Saturday afternoon and there was a private meeting for the nomination of the new worship leader that would replace Ralph, and the projects ahead. The gossip among the leaders pointed to Josh, Ryan, or Jason as potential worship leaders.

However, in that meeting, Adam, the pastor's son was the one found suitable for the position, even though he wasn't the most good-looking, the most talented, his heart surely was in the right place. He was one of the few with a godly mindset. 

A sense of responsibility fell on him as he walked out to another private meeting with his father – and pastor – and the former worship leader.

"Dad, you shouldn't have picked me. Everyone will say that it is because I am your son."

David however knew that this decision was few of the godly he had taken in years:

"Lay down your pride, 'cuz I have done the same already."

Adam's chin dropped a little. 

"Of course, you are part of the band and all that, but Ralph inquired of God, and all odds pointed at you." The pastor continued his explanation.

"Why me?" His son knew what was at stake.

"You can ask Ralph; he surely can explain better than me."

His father left the room, leaving the two other men alone to talk.

"Ade!" Ralph smiled at him. "Excited, or what?"

Adam put a hand on his forehead and widened the eyes speechless. "Why me, mate?"

"God gave me advice on this. Unlike your father, I still seek Him for counsel." 

They knew that the leadership in the church - pastors included - wasn't leading things in a very Christian way.

"Let's cut to the chase!" Ralph held onto the papers on his hand. "Take a seat." He pulled a chair to the new worship leader.

Adam and Ralph got along very well. Their cooperation in the worship ministry connected them, and even more so now.

"So, your father said we should find another voice."

"Alright...?" He had his doubts about that, it wouldn't be the first time his father tried so eagerly to find him a wife, if his suspicions were accurate.

"Yes!" Ralph smirked and nodded knowingly. "Your father says it's time for a new voice, a new face."

"Alright...?" Still doubting.

"He already has a firm working on the church new logo, has plans for the new DVD and even a movie."

Adam and his father got along pretty well, if they didn't have to mention any spiritual affairs.

"So commercial..." Adam complained.

"I know, but I still hope that you might bring some decency to these parts, Ade!" Ralph confessed. "They might listen to the pastor's son, as for me, I did what I could, and it took a toll on me and my family."

Adam recalled the parable of the tenants in the bible and prepared for the worst. It was as if this task as worship leader would be his last mission on earth, and he fully committed to that.