Chapter 3 - New friends

(the picture on top is Debora)

Adam was officially settled at his parents'. It felt like a step back in his independence, but he had higher and more selfless goals. He sighed contentedly, crossing his arms to his chest. What a sight! The Opera House, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the Parramatta River. Sydney was a beautiful city, and he could see it from the big window of his bedroom.

The memories of his young adult times quickly came to mind. He studied Project Management at the University of Sydney back in the day, never guessing nor caring about what was ahead of him. He lived with his parents when he was studying, and he had the routine of jogging from there to the Opera House and back, after watching the sunset. Ten years later, there he was: back at his parents', conscious of his small-numbered days, caring about Debora and highly tempted to jog to her workplace, hoping to have another alleged casual meeting with her.

A sudden thought stroke him as he looked at his wristwatch. He freshened up hurriedly and strolled down to Debora's workplace.

It was spring. The weather was mild, and the sun shone outside, so the roads were more packed than usual. Adam looked up to the Opera House and down again, sure that he would reach the top of the staircase with no trouble. As he climbed the stairway, zigzagging through the tourists on the steps, he regretted going there unannounced.

At the entrance, he hesitated to go in, but the thought that had brought him thus far was set on the back of his mind; he couldn't just shake it off. He entered. Walking to the reception, he noticed that the lobby was quite busy. That was an obstacle because he had to wait in line, and the more he waited, the higher was the chance of seeing Debora there. To accomplish the mission that had led him there, she couldn't see him. When his turn came, he greeted the receptionist:

"Good arvo, I'd like to talk to Florencia!"

The woman looked at him, wondering whether he truly knew who Florencia was.

"She's busy at the moment." The woman tried to sound nonchalant.

"I'm sure she can reserve a few minutes to discuss Debora, the new employee from Portugal."

Carol, the receptionist, eyed him with suspicion, unaware of how good Florencia would handle that sort of announcement. Still keeping an eye on him, she phoned the Executive Director of the Opera House.

"There's a gentleman here asking to talk to you about Debora." The lady looked at the man and recognized him as if a veil had been lifted from her face. "It's Adam Larking." A few seconds later, the lady put down the phone. "Would you follow me, please?" She stood up and led him to Florencia's office.

Adam had been inside the Opera House. That building was as emblematic on the outside as inside: natural light coming through the windows, light-colored walls, probably made of marble and decorated with a few music relics from the last centuries. The corridor leading to Florencia's office was far from the reception. He had walked at least two minutes until they reached a two-sided door with a golden nameplate which read Florencia Evans – Executive Director.

The receptionist knocked on the door, told him to wait, and left hurriedly. He peeked at his wristwatch and noticed that he was running late for the prayer meeting with Ralph. He grabbed his phone and started typing a message, but the door opened before he could send it. A lady in silver hair, with a mature yet young spirited face, wearing extravagant white glasses and a large smile, welcomed Adam.

"Have a seat!" She instructed him and sat down on her chair.

She had a spacious office and a large window that faced to the notable bridge. It was a breathtaking view.