Chapter 5 - A conveniently accidental touch

Debora had informed Adam that her resignation letter had been rejected and her working visa would still be in effect for the next two years. And he kept his distance from her. He hoped that she would cling to other people in the church, and he wasn't wrong. Debora quickly caught the attention of a few people, including a few lads. There was one, called James, who annoyed Adam particularly.

On a Sunday, after a service, Adam saw Debora particularly amused by James. He couldn't resist interrupting the conversation. He climbed down the steps of the stage and drew closer to them.

"Hi, am I interrupting something?" He dared.

She felt very tempted to roll her eyes but composed herself. Both Debora and James were speechless by Adam's appearance. What did he want?

James greeted the worship leader and slid his hands into his pockets, lost for words.

"We're talking..." Debora referred to the conversation with James.

"Sorry if I interrupted," Adam added, not feeling sorry at all. "What were you talking about?"

The way Debora looked at James trying to hint at something made him suspect that there was something going on between her and the worship leader. He then felt like a third wheel.

"Sorry, I should get going." James excused himself. "Great job with worship today, Adam!" The boy waved and walked away from them.

"Thanks, mate!" Adam appreciated.

As James was away, Debora felt nervous around Adam - again; she didn't even know what to tell him.

"What were you talking about?" He asked as if he had the right to know.

She couldn't believe her ears but thought that was funny.

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Alright!" He scoffed. "We should get together sometime." He just dropped the bomb.

"Why?" Debora wondered. "We see each other in the church; rehearsals, services! We actually get together." She tried to dig deeper.

"Well, yeah. It's not the same thing, though."

"Can you go straight to the point?" She pleaded.

"I miss spending time with you." His eyes shone as he admitted that.

She missed that too but was convinced that he was avoiding her.

"What do you have in mind?" She asked.

"How about I invite you for lunch today? I'd like to take you to a restaurant at Bondi!" He smiled as he saw a smile drawing on her face. "Yes?" He smiled back, quite flirtatious.

She was flattered with the invitation and nodded. On the other hand, Adam was lost for words, marveled with her.

"I'll just..." He stuttered a little. "Give me five minutes. I'll be done!"

She smiled coyly, wondering whether Adam thought of her at the times she fought to think of someone or something else.

The drive to Bondi beach was a little uncomfortable for both Adam and Debora. She didn't know what to say about that invitation. But she refused to believe that Adam was actually liking her.

The restaurant boasted great views over the coastline with a great view of the Pacific Ocean. The place had great natural light, and - according to Adam - the food was even better than the view.

For old times sake – that weren't all that old – he decided to eat on a counter table. She agreed, feeling uncomfortable to be that close to him again.