Chapter 8 - Arrested

(The picture on top is Richard)

There was nothing Adam could do to destroy the bond Debora and Joel were creating. He could control them as much as possible when he was present, but not when he wasn't around. Despite his efforts, Debora agreed to have dinner with Joel. Everything was organized remotely.

To avoid unnecessary questions, Joel kept that event secret from everyone except his father. Moses approved and encouraged him to ask hardcore questions because those concerned his future.

His son wasn't sure about that kind of approach; it felt like they were going to get married the next month. The last thing he wanted was to scare Debora off. Talking about children, about income, about plans for the future, on a first date didn't feel right. However, Abah-leh kept reminding him, with a tap on his shoulder, that Joel was following the ways of the world.

Moses wanted to remind Joel that a date didn't necessarily have to be intended as something romantic, even though it is always special to be with the one we are romancing. A date should be an occasion to get acquainted with that special someone, to dig deeper into more personal details, and ultimately confirm if both parties were on the same boat, rowing for a common destination.

"Son, it's not about being a people pleaser, it's about showing your true colors." Moses encouraged him.

"Should I prepare a set of questions, like an interview?" Joel was out of practice in matters of the heart.

"Why are you so uptight?" Moses shrugged. "I've learned so much from your spontaneity, I'm sure you'll do spontaneously well." He encouraged him.

"Abah-leh..." Joel didn't feel so sure. "I'm probably this uptight because I already know what the future holds."

"What do you mean?" Moses turned his full attention to him.

"Have you not seen how Debora and Adam act when they're around each other?"

"Well, I'm assuming that if she gave you a chance..." His father didn't finish the sentence. "Ask her about Adam, then."

"Wouldn't that be too personal?"

"Don't you need to know where you're staying at?"

Joel nodded, not fully convinced.

________________________________________________________________________________

That Tuesday was very strange. It started with Debora waking up from a dream in which she was happily married to Joel with two children. The strangeness got worse when she was walking to work. As she came closer to the Opera House, the traffic was more jammed than usual. She came closer to the building and noticed the apparatus that involved police cars and their officers.

That was for sure an intriguing sight, but Debora was focused on the work she had left to be done for that day. When she put one foot on the step, an officer blocked her, and wouldn't allow her way through the crowd. She called Florencia for help and only then, did she manage to enter the building.

"What is going on?" Debora was gasping when she entered through the door to the reception.

Florencia held up a newspaper with a picture of Richard on the front page and a headline that read 'Former Larking's church leader fighting rape allegations. She was so shocked that was speechless.

Debora rushed to bring the newspaper closer to her. She could have been dumbstruck, but after what she had been through with Richard, that type of information wasn't so surprising.

"What happens to him now?" Debora inquired, with a hint of cruelty.

"He's gonna be remanded in custody," Florencia explained.