Chapter 4 - Long Walk

It was early morning when Adam's phone started ringing. His best friend had contacted him, and one could easily sense the grief in his voice. His mate's family was expected to return from Israel that week, but a medical emergency changed the plans. What was meant to be an inoffensive appointment to the doctor quickly turned into a nightmare; his mother had been diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer.

Adam was devastated by the news, mainly because he soon would be a victim of the same disease - but no one knew that, except for the family doctor who had diagnosed him.

"Are you gonna say something, mate?" His friend asked.

"I'm lost for words." Adam was speechless. "I thought your mum was healthy..."

"Well, apparently, she's been having symptoms for the past months." He paused. "I'm sure that all the stress I caused her because of my last relationship took a toll on her."

"Mate, don't blame yourself like that." Adam tried to shut him down.

"This past relationship just destroyed me and my whole family, especially my mum."

"You've gotta snap out of it. You'll meet Debora, and I'm sure it all will fade into the background."

"I hope you're right!" He mumbled. "I gotta go. I'll put you up to speed. Pray for us, Ade!" He pleaded.

Adam put his phone down and sank under the covers. He was troubled by the devastating news and couldn't understand why God would allow his best mate to lose two meaningful people in such a short period.

Yes, the newly-acclaimed worship leader had been diagnosed with a terminal disease. The Larking family doctor confirmed his suspicions a few months before Debora's arrival - he had turned 31.

A year before his birthday, Adam had devoted himself to revamping his cabin in the woods. Because he was very hands-on, he organized his own schedule to complete the task alone. Eager as he was to live in the woods, he worked himself out for months straight. It was after that season that his family doctor diagnosed advanced-stage cancer.

A still small voice, that he identified as the Holy Spirit - who had helped him on several other occasions - compelled him not to do the chemotherapy. Adam had strong doubts about his decision, but when someone who didn't know of his health came to him and confirmed that he had to be trained to live one day at a time, he was assured that God had spoken to him.

It was hard to live one day at a time. He lost focus quickly. It would be hard now that he was moving into his parents' apartment. He hoped to convert his father to the truth of the gospel. However, sensing God's presence in the big city was more challenging than in nature.

________________________________________________________________________________

Debora could only recreate last night's event with Adam, and she longed to be in his arms again, but she had to deal with other problems: Richard, for instance.

For the good or the bad, she wrote a resignation letter and put it in her purse. As she arrived at work at half-past eight, Richard - sitting on his corner of the office - noticed her but did nothing about it straight away; there were too many people in the room.

When it was near eleven, Carol - the receptionist - walked up to Debora's desk, informing her that Florencia wished to see her.

"But... is everything alright?" The young lady didn't know what to think, so she prepared herself for the worst.

"She just wants to talk to you as soon as possible." The receptionist cautioned.

Debora looked down, grabbed her resignation letter, then stood up, ready to meet her boss. She was tense and afraid of the unknown.