Chapter 18 - An awkward date

(the picture on top is Florencia)

Florencia had the brilliant idea to celebrate the end of the year in an exclusive lunch at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Sydney. All collaborators were invited, including the newbie Joel. Joel and Sean were the only males in a team full of women: Tracey, Cassie, Carol, Florencia, and Debora.

With no surprise, between Florencia and Joel was Debora. Carol sat next to Florencia. Sean was next to Joel. Next to Sean was Tracey and then Cassie. The table was waited by a woman and a man.

The setting of their table allowed Debora to see the Harbour Bridge from the window. She was distracted by the mesmerizing view through the window. She had her water glass in her elegant and delicate hands, her elbows on the table. Soon, her head started recreating the evening with Adam; the creativity he would use to express his inmost feelings to her and that. She was so absorbed in those thoughts that didn't notice how Florencia was talking to her. Her boss had to elbow her. Debora suddenly woke up to reality.

"Is everything alright?" She wondered.

"We are trying to ask your opinion on Joel's idea."

"What idea?" She was lightheaded.

Florencia shook her head.

"Joel," Her boss tried to encourage Debora's participation in the conversation. "Would you mind explaining that to her?"

Debora noticed the magazine he had on his lap. She had seen him with it earlier and even recommended him not to bring it to the table, but Joel could be very stubborn sometimes.

"Tell me." She gave him full attention.

"Our company should run for the national photography prize." He showed her the info on the cover of the magazine.

Debora was lost for words. She thought that a camera never really did justice to the naked-eye sight.

"What do you say, girl?" Carol insisted.

"That's a good idea..." She was truly absentminded.

Florencia picked up on Debora's line and developed her idea, highlighting that companies couldn't participate in such events. Joel had to participate as an individual citizen.

"But you will have all my support. If you need time for anything, or any material to improve your photos, just go ahead and talk to me." Florencia completed.

"Thanks!" He appreciated all the help.

Joel even had an idea for the photo he was going to use to run for the prize, but he decided to share that with his housemate after he understood what was going on in her mind. So he lowered the tone of his voice and came closer to her ear.

"Debora!" He called her out, and when she turned her face to him, he asked: "What's on your mind?"

"My date with Adam later this evening."

"What about it?"

"I think you're right, Joe." She was sad to finally admit the truth that has been before her eyes all along. "He just wants to get into my pants."

"What does that mean?" He tried to understand her.

"Means that I'm not going."

"But you gave him your word already!" He tried to lower his tone even more.

"I know." She whispered following his lead.

"Well, if it's tempting of course you should run, but..."

Suddenly, she interrupted him.

"Why are we whispering?" She raised her voice to a normal tone.

He just shrugged with a giggle.