Chapter 17 - A first squabble

Joel's first week in Sydney was going very well, much better than he had expected. He was quickly adjusting to the new job and work team, and his tasks were challenging, just the way he liked. His new apartment was for free, which meant that he could save money for real investments in his professional future, and to top it off, it was his great pleasure to have Debora around, for most of the days. There was one thing though that wasn't going as planned and that was his friendship with Adam. They barely talked lately.

There was another thing that caused him immense doubt: the place where he should congregate. When he was a young man attending college in the city of Sydney, the Larking church seemed very alluring, but now that he had grown to be a spiritual man, prayer warrior, God-fearing, that church didn't feel like the place where he could grow spiritually as he desired. Of course, there they had many courses - all paid, obviously - for people who wanted to go deeper in their relationship with the Lord, but maybe because of his pride, none of those courses compelled him to enroll into the Larking College. He didn't really know.

On the way to the Larking church, walking with Debora, Joel shared his concern about that.

"I like smaller churches."

"I know what you mean. Me too." Debora replied. "Back in Portugal, I used to go to a small church. It was such a peaceful place and we all got along so well. A small family with all its idiosyncrasies, but so special." She beamed.

"Yeah. I know what you mean." He understood her. "But then why do you attend this church? You do know that this is like the most popular church in all of Australia!"

"I know, but this was the first church I found and I kind of got stuck here. First, they chose me to be part of the worship group. Right after, Adam invited me to be part of the prayer group with Ralph."

"The former worship leader?" He hadn't had the chance to meet him personally.

"Yeah." She confirmed. "Now it's just Ralph, his wife and I, in the prayer group."

"What about Ade, he left?"

Debora nodded.

Joel was silent starting to acknowledge that the Adam that Debora lately talked about wasn't as spiritual as he remembered.
________________________________________________________________________________
Adam was on stage, tuning the guitars. He was nervous and simultaneously anxious to see Debora; she had huge power over him. Usually, after helping set up the stage, he would go to a little room and pray, but those days were gone. He no longer knew what he was doing there, failing to believe in God, or anything else. It seemed like his devotion was Debora and the fear of imminent death. He thought he was prepared to meet his Savior anytime, but when that girl came, she rocked his world completely.

He finished tuning the last guitar and placed it on the A-frame. As he bent down, his peripheral sight caught someone who looked like Debora walking. He straightened up to make sure; it was her. It was as if it was the first time he had seen her. She moved him within. He walked up to her.

"Debora." He called.

Debora, on the other hand, was having a hard time looking at him straight in his eyes.

"Yes, Adam." She voiced her lack of patience.

"Debbie, come on." He pleaded with her. "You're not gonna be mad at me in the house of the Lord." He used that card. "It's not very Christian of you to be mad at me."

"I know."

Adam knew that she could easily break with the right words. She was so easy to manipulate sometimes.

"So, are we okay?" He tried to win her over with his contagious smile and sweet glance.

"Yeah, we are." She rolled her eyes and quickly gave in.