Chapter 14 - A new mate

(the picture above is Moses Smith)

The sun was rising on the beautiful city of Melbourne while Joel was in his last minutes of sleep. When he woke up, his hair disgruntled, the drool on the side of his mouth, on the white sheets of his bed, he remembered to call Debora with urgency. Yet, it was too early to call anyone.

He left his bed and walked to the kitchen, Moses was already awake.

"Shalom!"

Moses stretched his hand, touched his son's head and blessed him, saying:

"Shalom." He removed the hand off. "When are you going to Sydney?"

"I've planned to go in an hour..."

"But...?" Moses anticipated.

"Hmmm." Joel was indecisive whether he should talk about Debora that early in the morning, at least without raising any suspicions. "I forgot to tell Debora about that."

Moses giggled and shook his head, fully convinced of where Debora and his son would be the next year, or less than that.

"Abah-leh, we're just friends." He drew closer to his father and wrapped his arm around him. "Trust me. I still got so much to work on, and Debora and Adam are actually a thing."

His father turned to study his son's eyes, but didn't see any traces of sadness.

"Are you happy with that?"

"For the friendship or for Debora and Adam?"

"For both."

"I am content with our friendship, yes!" He said with a conviction that Moses had never seen before. "As for Adam and Debora, they are none of my business." He spoke as though he couldn't care less. "I gotta call her, I'd like to arrive there, at least, around 3 p.m."

Moses observed his son walking away with an excitement that was new. He wondered whether Joel was delusional, because it was obvious that he was in love with Debora, and the feeling was mutual; even if there was Adam in the picture. Abah-leh predicted that as soon as she opened those eyes of hers, Adam would no longer be such a ghost in her mind.

True love is hard to find, that Moses knew. Society and media paint love in a way that it becomes irrational, and when a feeling loses its rationality, then it isn't a choice, and if it isn't a choice, the free-will principle is not applied. Love and free-will are always together, that is why a beautiful, long lasting love story always starts with a friendship.

________________________________________________________________________________

Last night was long and it was good to sleep in when possible, but Debora had to wake up very early that morning just to catch the train that would take her back to Sydney. Since the trip would last at least twelve hours, she put on her headphones allowing herself to be entertained by the music.

Oh, that weekend was amazing! Debora had a smile on her face, while looking at the landscape through the window. Beautiful, entertaining sites! What a weekend! She could only think of words and expressions to convey the bliss that came out of that time in Melbourne. Now life in Sydney would continue, but without Chloe, without Joel. Having to readjust her peace to fit in the dilemma with Adam was one of the things that cost her the most. She had to let him go, for there was no point of pursuing a relationship based off an infatuation.

She ardently prayed to God to help her let go of Adam, but it didn't seem to work. It was surely hard when he was around, especially each time their eyes met. Somehow she wanted to be hypnotized and desired by him, to have that struggle of surrendering to him. Thoughts of him just deprived her of senses, and she enjoyed that. It was a pleasure to think about Adam, but that only increased her sexual appetite which was out of control whenever they were by themselves in a room.