Chapter 15 - That irrational attraction

(the picture on top is the Opera House in Sydney)

Debora esteemed Joel very highly as a friend, but having to share a house with him felt very awkward, at least on the first night. Even though the world of men wasn't exactly new to her, it was strange to be in Joel's so suddenly with no previous time for adjustment. She needed to have a talk with Florencia.

She walked past the reception without greeting Carol straight to her boss's office. The latter ran after her, trying to warn her not to go in unannounced. Debora stopped, realizing that the receptionist was probably right.

"Alright, Carol!" Debora took a deep breath. "Announce me, because I need to have a serious conversation with Florencia." She was mad, but that didn't show.

"Alright, alright, I'll do it!" She agreed but grabbed the young lady by the arm. "But you must come with me."

Carol dragged Debora through the corridor onto the reception. She commanded her to stay while she called her boss.

"It's okay. You can go." The receptionist later confirmed.

On a 'thank you' note, Debora rushed through the corridor and knocked on Florencia's door. She quickly walked in, right after the door was open.

"Hi Debora! What's gotten into you?" She was trying to tease her employee a little more.

"Florencia, why didn't you tell me about the new photographer?"

"Oh, sorry! It slipped my mind. But you were on holiday so I wanted to give you the rest that you deserved."

"What happened to Bryant?" Debora sat down and looked at her boss.

"Let's say we had a situation and he raised his hand against me. Fortunately, Carol called security."

"What's gotten into men these days?"

"I'm starting to think there is something wrong with photographers in general."

Debora thought of Joel and giggled. She was still about to find out what his crazy treats were. Living with him, she would find those in a matter of days.

"Is everything alright?" Florencia was intrigued.

"Yes, yes." Debora suddenly remembered Richard. "By the way, I received a letter to attend Richard's trial." She whispered. "Did you receive something?"

"Well, I already testified and because I mentioned you, you will have to do the same."

"What did you tell them?"

"The truth, Debora." Florencia looked down. "I cannot sugarcoat the truth."

"Did you mention Adam?"

"Yes," Her boss nodded assertively. "I had to! He was the one who told me about the harassment."

In that instant, Debora's phone started ringing. She looked at the screen only to let her mood be immensely affected. Florencia noticed.

"What's gotten into you?"

Debora was dumbstruck for a moment and then replied:

"It's Adam."

The older lady couldn't understand the younger's reaction to a phone call from the man she supposedly loved.

"Go, you can take it!" Florencia urged her to take the call.

"I don't want to."

Florencia stood up, assuming that Debora was just playing hard-to-get and took the courtesy to get the phone from her hand and answering the call. Debora then reacted and grabbed her phone before Florencia had the chance to speak to Adam herself. Her employer left the room to give the young girl some privacy.