Chapter 30 - Wedding

The autumn rains started descending. Adam heard the drops fall onto his wooden cabin, while he read a book and entertained himself with a glass of wine. As he was turning the page, a thought came to his mind and he stopped reading. He put the book aside, put on his shoes, and walked out. The rain was so heavy on him that it wet his hair. He rushed into his truck and drove carefully to Sydney.

The traffic was jammed at the entrance of the city, and accidentally he looked in the mirror to appreciate his beautiful face, quickly recalling that he had seen Debora's face in his car so many other times. It was lonely not to have her around, but he wasn't giving up on that, she would have her soon. He planned on outlining a strategy to win her back, as he had convinced himself that she was still vulnerable to him, even though she had told him otherwise.

The traffic moved faster than expected, therefore he arrived at his destination sooner. Fortunately, finding a place to park wasn't that big a struggle. He breathed deeply before he left his car. It wasn't raining anymore, but it looked like it was going to happen soon.

There he was, before the penitentiary of Sydney, where Richard was living. That was a right punishment for a man as corrupt as him - Adam thought. He was happy that justice was made. But he had a lot more to demand from him, for his own sake.

Adam was having trouble finding the entrance of the penitentiary, but he managed it, after knocking on many wrong doors. However, all the effort proved to be in vain, because when he rang the bell, the only response he got was:

"What is your Visitor Identification Number?"

He was perplexed first and then replied:

"My ID?"

"No." Very curt. "Your Visitor Identification Number is provided when you make a booking to visit someone in prison."

Adam was silent. He didn't know what crossed his mind to think that he could just enter unannounced.

"I assume you didn't schedule a visit either." The personnel replied. "So, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the premises. Thank you." The voice sounded automated.

He was frustrated, but there was more to life than frustrations, so he just walked away. On his way to the car, he tried to call Debora, but she didn't respond. He tried other times, left messages in her voicemail, and sent many SMSs, and again there was no reply. He was so infuriated with her silence, that he punched the steering wheel repeatedly just to express his frustration.
________________________________________________________________________________

In Melbourne, the weather wasn't that good either. It was raining heavily, but the bride and groom had the fortunate decision of celebrating the wedding ceremony in the glasshouse of the venue property. On one side of the room were the family and guests of the bride, and on the other were the guests and family of the groom. Everybody there, even the groom, was nervous, expecting the worst. They had been waiting for the bride for at least thirty minutes. Joel, as his best man, tried to assure his brother that Chloe wasn't going to be a runaway bride.

The delay wasn't caused by the bride though, it was Debora with her kinky hair that wasn't giving her the best of its days. Besides, she would be the only black among whites, they wouldn't even notice, so why bother? But no! That was Debora struggling with her natural hair. But fortunately, she realized that that day wasn't about her, rather about the bride and groom who would soon be married and start a life together as a family.