νέα ημέρα: new day

Lena woke up the next morning, a little disorientated as she felt a source of warmth right next to her. As she blinked the sleep out of her eyes, she realized that she had made good on her promise and gravitated towards Kara in her sleep so that she was cuddled right next to her. Lena opened her eyes, seeing that the blonde was still asleep. She smiled as her friend slept. She was even more beautiful when she was sleeping. She was peaceful in a way that Lena didn't see from her often.

She tried to get up but noticed that Kara's arm was wrapped around her. Lena smiled to herself, thinking that she could definitely get used to waking up next to Kara like that. But Lena shook the thoughts from her head, trying to gently untangle herself from the blonde sleeping next to her. But her movements weren't subtle enough and Kara stirred. Lena froze, hoping that Kara wouldn't think their current position was weird.

Kara's eyes fluttered open. They widened slightly at seeing Lena looking back at her. "Morning," Lena said shyly. Kara relaxed a little bit at Lena's voice, smiling at her friend.

"Morning. What time is it?" Kara asked sleepily.

"Just before sunrise," Lena said, glancing out the window, a hint of light rising over the horizon. Kara groaned, sinking back against the pillows.

"It's still too early," Kara complained, releasing Lena from her grip. Lena sat up, looking down at Kara. For a little ball of sunshine, she really wasn't a morning person. It was kind of amusing. Lena, on the other hand, had always been an early riser. She enjoyed a cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. Another daughter of Apollo thing she supposed.

"Too early to watch the sunrise with me?" Lena asked. Kara opened one eye, looking warily at Lena. She groaned.

"You can't give me the puppy eyes this early in the morning. Darn it Luthor!" Kara said with fake irritation. But Kara sat up next to Lena. "Fine. Only because you're cute." Kara said without thinking. The two sat in silence for a few seconds, both of them realizing what Kara had just said. Lena blushed a little bit, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly. Kara, on the other hand, was borderline horrified. She bit her lip, blinking.

"Do you want a cup of coffee?" Lena asked, breaking the awkwardness between them. Kara nodded eagerly, jumping out of the bed and padding over to the small kitchen they had in their room. She grabbed a coffee pot off the stove, filling it with water. Lena got up from the bed as well, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She had slept fairly well that night, no strange dreams plaguing her mind. Which was a plus in her book.

She walked over to Kara, placing her elbows on the counter as the two waited for the water to boil. "You're not an early riser for someone so... energetic all the time." Lena commented. Kara just shrugged.

"I like my sleep. What can I say." She said. "You know, I've always pictured you as the type of person to enjoy watching sunrises. I guess I was right in that regard."

Lena nodded. She had enjoyed watching the sunrise for as long as she could remember. Lillian rarely woke early, so it gave her a chance to have some time to herself before the snide comments started for the day. And then when she had been shipped off to boarding school, she continued her ritual, taking comfort in the routine. It had really just stuck with her throughout her life.

"Yeah. It's peaceful. It's like... you're watching a new day begin. All of the hardships of the previous day finally gone with new light. So you can make the most of the new day." Lena shrugged. Kara raised an eyebrow.

"Wow, that's deep." Kara teased. Lena just rolled her eyes.

"The water is boiling." She said, pointing to the pot.

***

The two sat down on the couch next to the windows, both with hot cups of coffee in their hands. The sun had begun to peek over the horizon as the girls drank their coffee in silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable one. The two were content to just be in each other's presence as they watched Apollo usher in a new day. "Are you nervous?" Kara asked her friend out of the blue. Lena frowned.