Chapter A; Red scum

"Stay out of our business"
11

🎹

Genevieve taps her finger against the table.

Over and over again.

Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.

Taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap

Finally she stops, looking up from her table. She sees the gardens outside, she sees the green grass and the orange trees, the rainy skies and the gloomy sun. It's late fall now. Others would wonder why time is passing by so fast. Genevieve wonders why time seems to go by so slowly. She wants to get out. Now.

With a sigh, the brunette drifts her gaze from the classroom window towards the rest of the class. It's her least favorite lesson, and her most usual lesson as well. The one that she has four times a week, two hours a time. Genevieve bites her lip in frustration, pulls her hair back slightly and tries to focus on another student playing her violin. She is demonstrating the theory that the teacher taught the class today. With her annoying voice, piercing eyes and bad habit of always picking Genevieve to answer the question, despite the gray haired girl not raising her hand. Genevieve can only answer with a quiet yet bored voice, as she knows most of this from before.

Once again she sits in front. At least that way she can't see the other students glare and whisper about her. But Genevieve can still feel their gazes, sense that they are talking about her. Before it was only annoying, she didn't think about it too much or let it bother her. But now it does, it does bother her. Makes her more anxious than she already is. Suddenly all that calm that she once had is gone. Instead she keeps fiddling with her fingers, her heart keeps beating when she speaks and a lump forms in her throat at the insults and scowls and glares.

Genevieve blames her roommates for it.

Even the unstoppable Genevieve now knows that it's impossible to be strong under so much pressure. So much hate, nobody here wants to be associated with her. Either they have no idea who she is, or they hate her. It's getting worse and worse. She can't sleep, can't think straight. For the past few days, she's been staring out into a void. There is nothing for her here, nothing for her at home, nothing at all. Genevieve has forgotten or lost everything that she values. There is nothing left to live for. The more Genevieve thinks about it, the more she wants to cry. Crying is not something she does regularly.

So maybe these people did manage to get to her. Genevieve promised that she would never let another human being get to her, not at this school and not at home. Now it looks like everything got to her, everything and everyone managed to break her down. Only a few months spent at this school, only a few weeks of knowing all these people. Aconite Academy really is Hell, Azure was right. Genevieve thought that she was being sarcastic, that she was playing around and joking about the hardships of being a student. But she was right, there has never been a place that has managed to break her down like this.

The more the brunette thinks, the faster the seconds tick by.

Maybe it would be different if this school was a place where everyone suffered, everyone was beat down. Then Genevieve would be able to handle it, she's been in worse places. Around the orphanage, in the poor neighborhoods, people fight all the time. Genevieve fights all the time, she defends herself and others. But here it seems like the people are thriving. Thriving on pushing her down, her specifically. It's more emotional than plain fighting and killing and threatening. It's about ruining a person from the inside out, driving them crazy, stomping on them until they are nothing but a speck of dirt on the ground. That's what Genevieve feels like she is. A speck of dirt.