Chapter E; Passing out

"You are nothing but a coward"
13

🎹

⚠️ violence, blood, bullying, harsh treatment, passing out ⚠️

"Come here"

Genevieve stops abruptly, holding her breath.

For the past two weeks, everything has been escalating slowly. Nothing is really happening, nothing at all. Genevieve moves like a zombie from one class to another, studies for her tests just to avoid her roommates and plays the piano until late at night. It's been three days since she last slept, and when she does sleep it's just for a few hours at a time. Those moments of sleep are haunted by nightmares and dreams that make her dizzy and nauseous, dreams that are so terrible, yet she always forgets them.

Over time all of her bruises healed, all of her past sensitivity left. It was replaced by a new routine.

Every morning she would get up from bed, tired from not sleeping, and drag on her uniform. She would pack up her things, brush her teeth and eat some food stored in her own cabinet. About an hour before everyone else have to leave, she leaves the house. She does every single thing she can to avoid them, to avoid her roommates. With dull eyes and her ears ringing, Genevieve goes to school. She zones out during the classes, ignores the glares and snarky remarks from her classmates and moves on. During lunchtime she grabs something from the green cafeteria and eats it in an empty hallway of the school.

When school ends Genevieve takes her time walking home. She drags her feet, intentionally misses the train and waits those extra few minutes. The longer time she can stay away from her dorm and her roommates, the better. Then she gets home, does her homework and lays herself on the bed. Thinking about how many days have passed since she last checked, how many days are left. Thinking about whether or not she should sleep, whether or not she should dye her hair. Thinking about what she has to do in order to hide from her roommates the following day.

Then she lays awake. Stares blankly up at the ceiling until that too becomes boring. The cycle continues.

It's been working, her routine, for two whole weeks. She feels lonely, empty and numb, but at least time is passing. Of course she can't hide from her roommates all the time, 24/7. Of course they sometimes manage to find her, manage to place in a glare or a nasty sentence about her, or an order to do something. But most of the time they act like she's a ghost, and she does the same thing. Walking on her toes around them, silent and careful. After awhile it became normal, after awhile it felt usual to be afraid of them, to walk around them in silence. To ignore their remarks, look away when they frown or scowl. It works. It worked. Until now.

"Are you deaf? I said come here! Now!"

Genevieve snaps out of her daze, her hands and eyes shaking. She's standing by the staircase, on her way upstairs after she just walked inside the dorm. Just like always, as quick and silent as possible. She isn't safe until her own room door is closed and she is behind it. But luck wasn't on her side today. Adeline, Azure and a few others are sitting in the dining room, the door open wide so that Genevieve can see them from the living room. Not wanting to anger them further, Genevieve turns around and walks up to them. Hesitantly, quietly, timidly. Not wanting to upset them anymore than she already has. Feeling pathetic for being so nervous and sensitive.

Once she is standing by the dining room doorway, Minnie stands up from her chair. She approaches Genevieve and pulls her further into the room by her wrist, the brunette barely flinching. She then closes the door with a slam, sitting back down on her chair. Genevieve stands next to the table, feeling awkward, scared and annoyed. The other girls are sitting, but she doesn't bother to do so. They stare at her with squinted eyes and their gazes burn holes into Genevieve's skull. She licks her lips nervously and keeps her gaze slightly tilted downwards.