Chapter H; Bloody beauty

"How beautiful our school would be, if it was peaceful like this all the time"
37

🎹

⚠️ mentions of guns, violence, blood, attempted kidnapping, use of chloroform⚠️

What made her bring her gun?

God, Genevieve doesn't know.

She has lived all of her life in a place where you have to face the unpredictable. Things that you can't control happen every single day, and if you can't handle it, you might die. The instincts are always there, to know when things will go south and when things won't. To be able to asses the situation, or at least read the room. Or maybe it's just a feeling that one gets when waking up in the morning, that itching feeling that something is going to go wrong today.

It's supposed to be a great day.

The sun is shining, and even the wind is warm. It's a Saturday and every single student is out there, enjoying the sun and the warm weather. For the occasion almost everyone has gone to either green parks or pear grove, that's where it's optimal to enjoy the outside and enjoy the warm weather. The students that don't like big crowds are sunbathing or working in their own gardens. But most people are out today, even a lot of red and blue students have taken the train to the green living areas. Pear grove and green parks have better gardens, parks and ponds than any other living area, including the ones at red and blue. Rivalries are forgotten on such a beautiful day, as everyone is out to enjoy it.

The birds are singing and the pink cherry trees are in full bloom. The grass somehow looks greener wherever you go, and the sky is a perfect blue without a single cloud in sight. Everyone is dressed in their best clothes, shorts and summery dresses and skirts. Sunglasses, sunscreen, hats, yes everything has been brought for the occasion. It's supposed to be a really good day, the best day even. A day where all worries float away like the non existent clouds on the sky, a day where the wind carries your laughter to the nearest group of friends, and students cross color boundaries between blue and red and green to just have fun all together. The most perfect spring day.

But despite knowing how amazing this day was going to become, Genevieve woke up with an itch. That itch hasn't disappeared.

These past few weeks she hasn't used her gun, nor had it on her at any moment. She feels safe now, nobody hates her, and she has her girlfriends to protect her. Her roommates are on her side again. She has nobody to fear, nobody to dislike, nobody to threaten. Her gun has laid untouched on her shelf, hidden behind some books along with its own bullets, for very many days. It's collecting dust.

But Genevieve woke up this Saturday after a dreamless sleep, and when she was getting dressed her gun happened to be placed underneath her summery skirt. There was no hesitation when she did it either. Things have been going so well lately, but Genevieve knows not to be stupid. She has lived enough to know when to trust her gut, and that is always. Something bad is going to happen today, hopefully not, but Genevieve is sure. She has never been wrong when it comes to this feeling.

Camilla headed out first to meet some other friends, dressed in white shorts and her school uniform shirt. Genevieve waved her goodbye and continued getting ready. Camilla didn't see her take her gun, she doesn't know about it. It's what's best.

Astrid went out with Adeline and their other roommates to green parks. Genevieve was picked up by her girlfriends, and they have taken the train to pear grove. The train was packed with people from all three departments, all chattering loudly. Usually the trains are very quiet and awkward, especially if all three departments are there. But today there is magic in the air, nobody is angry and nobody is upset. There is no tension. Everyone is just here to have fun. The pear grove train station was so crowded they were immediately pushed off it by a security officer. Some students gave them room when they saw the department leaders, but it was too packed to give them the normal amount of space.