Chapter R; Lies

"Something isn't right here"
35

🎹

⚠️ censored cursing, blood, mentions of violence, mentions of murder and death, mentions of bullying and being beaten, bruises and bruise treatment, hospitals⚠️

"Are you okay?"

With blurry eyes Astrid tries to focus on the figure above her. Tears block her line of vision, but the familiar vague scent of the green leader calms her down.

There it is again.

Even though she is supposed to hate Adeline, the leader is the only person at this school she doesn't hate. After Genevieve and Camilla of course. Adeline has caused her so much suffering, unintentionally or not. The taller girl is the cause of her bullying even though she had no idea about it. But Astrid can't blame her for that, not really. She can however, blame herself for falling for her...

F*ck.

This is not how this was supposed to go. She wanted to get out of here with no ties to this place. Now looking up at the green leader through her tear filled eyes, Astrid realizes that this thing will never leave her. This nightmare, and this dream, will never ever truly end. Whether that is a blessing or a curse, Astrid can't tell. But she looks at Adeline the same way the green leader looks at her. With f*cking love.

"God, I should've known! I should've found out sooner! F*ck"

Astrid realizes that she hasn't spoken yet, hasn't confirmed to the taller that she is doing okay. Is she doing okay? Her breathing is calm now and she doesn't feel scared anymore, but pain burns everywhere on her body and time slips away from her fingers. One moment she is still on the floor, somewhere between the locker wall and Adeline's lap, and the next moment she is completely in the taller's arms while being taken somewhere.

She vaguely hears Adeline yelling something to someone.

"Don't kill them Viv!"

And then, she hears the whisper that follows.

"Or do, I don't really care"

Once again she closes her eyes and wakes up to someone talking frantically. She's just tired, honestly, not dying. Sure there might be some bruises and maybe some loss of blood here and there but, other than that she is not dying. But maybe fainting here and there might look like she's dying, Astrid doesn't know. She doesn't have the mental capacity to think that far right now.

She is still in Adeline's strong arms though, and they are still running somewhere.

People pass by them like blurry figures. Once she makes out some of their expressions, surprisingly she sees both surprise and... guilt? Are things finally going to change now? Astrid gets a boost of happiness and relief, she feels herself getting clearer by the positive emotions. She lifts her head and turns a bit to the side to see Adeline's face, and sees a worried expression mixed with some sort of irritation and anger. And fear.

"Good, don't fall asleep on me sweetheart, stay awake please"

Anger over what they have done to her, irritation over the guilty reactions around her and fearful because of the person that seems to be slipping away from her fingers. She heads through the second hallway of the third floor, the sounds of Genevieve beating the girls and fighting them with a metal pipe and her own fists dulling out in the background. There is blood on Adeline's clothes, on her arms and on her hands. It's Astrid's blood, and Adeline hates that she is in this situation again.