Chapter I; Drunken words

"Tomorrow we will find out the truth about you"
21

🎹

⚠️ alcohol, drunk, slight sexual actions, mentions of insomnia ⚠️

"Drink drink drink drink!"

Genevieve stumbles on her feet. She hasn't even drunk anything yet, the bottle still securely in her pocket. But despite that, she still feels drunk on her own actions, tired of it all.

She drags herself through the rain and cold, making sure to get as far away from the big stores and cameras as possible. It's late at night but she knows that she can't return to the dorm anymore. Not with the alcohol in her pocket, not until she has drunk and then gotten sober again. Definitely not with them acting so terrible and mean.

All the houses look the same, white but seeming gray from the endless dull sky and weather. The streets look the same no matter how many twists and turns she does, the rain only gets heavier and Genevieve feels herself shudder against her drenched jacket, but she can't seem to care beyond that. Legs shaking from walking for so long, Genevieve doesn't know what makes her stop, but she does. Looking around for any cameras, not finding any, Genevieve slumps down on a park bench in a dark alleyway. She sighs, digging the bottle of Russian vodka from her pocket.

She drags the liquid in front of her face, examining it, knowing that she doesn't care much about the quality or whatever, just wanting the sweet release that only alcohol can bring. She brings her cold and shaky fingers up to the bottle, ripping off the tag and leaving only the see-through glass bottle. The liquid shakes as she does, and Genevieve has a little trouble opening the cap of the bottle. She knows a few tricks that Mari and the others taught her, when she first started drinking. How to open even the hardest of bottle caps, no matter what tools are at hand.

Genevieve remembers the bittersweet memory, her first drink at twelve, soon to be thirteen. A little later than some of the other kids, Mari was quite overprotective at times. She took a few chugs, didn't dare to drink more, only got a little tipsy and ended up helping a drunk Mari into her room, the elder crying about her "growing up" or something. The memory is blurry, but Genevieve can never forget it.

Sighing, Genevieve skillfully opens the cap and throws it in her pocket. Hopefully she will need it again. There is no use in drinking the entire bottle, it would only make her drunk beyond belief. After all, she hasn't had a drink in several months. Craving for the bitter taste, craving for the memories to come to life, Genevieve shakes the liquid around a little before bringing it to her mouth. She takes one long sip, enjoying the way it burns down her throat and tastes awful. She never learned to like the taste anyway, it was never for the taste that they drink.

"Bet you can't chug it all at once!"

Genevieve imagines the echoing laughs of her friends, the fire illuminating their drunk faces as the kids slept a few steps away, unbothered by the noise. She takes another sip, letting the liquid float down her throat, already starting to feel a little light headed, although maybe that's just the memories. The nights under the smoky sky, their breaths coming out as fog and their fists filled with scars and bruises, silly smirks on their faces that were always bittersweet, because the weight in their eyes never matched their happy moods.

Bottles crashing against the cement floor, some of the elders letting their cigarettes burn out as they focused on each other completely. Mari hanging over her older sisters shoulder, playfully begging her for another drink, the sister holding the liquid high up in the air. Obnoxious laughter filling up the air as Mari manages to grab the bottle, the sister teasingly grabbing her for a fight downstairs, both too drunk to care, everything else forgotten. Genevieve takes another sip, can't remember if she's at Aconite Academy or at home.