An Unlikely Alliance

Mariette had been in the castle for three months. Thanks to Adrien and the King she saw her parents once a week. She was on her way with Lady Nathalie to the King's private office. Adrien was on a hunting trip with Felix which she had been invited to, but she had politely declined. And that is how she ended up in the King's office alone for the first time since her first weekend here.  She was expecting him to be in all his grander again, but when she walked in she was shocked to find him in black pants and a loose-fitting white shirt, with a simple gold ring on his head travel clothes, was her going somewhere? "My Lord King," Marinette notice the smile on the king's face, my lord king while a mouthful was one of the most intimate names you could call the King. "I present to you Lady Marinette." The King nodded and Marinette thought she saw him send a wink as Lady Nathalie left the room. 

"Good Morning Lady Marinette, I trust you slept well?" He gestured for her to sit at the chair next to his desk. 

"I did, I think I have finally gotten used to the beds here, but I still wake before the sun."  She giggled. "Oh, I'm sorry, Good Morning My King." 

"Let's make a deal Lady Marinette, in this room and anywhere we meet in private we drop the formalities you can call Gabrial or simply King and I will you Marinette, is that fair?" He leaned forward on his desk.

"Why should I be so lucky to be so close to the King?" Why did the king favour her so? He did not seem to treat the other "wives" this way.

"It is simple Marinette, you are my son's favourite, he has chosen you. He raves about you all the time, I thought you would be to his liking but you are have won his heart completely." He smiled as she blushed. 

"Can one fall for someone so fast? It's been such a short time, can love grow so quick?" She smiles as she fidgets. 

"I fell for his mother that fast. She was amazing and everything I wanted in my queen, yet she hated me. She was the younger twin and often overlooked and thought I was trying to make her twin jealous. But I eventually proved my love. " He smiled and looked at the painting of his family. 

"He is very kind. But I don't think I will fall in love with the Crown Prince." 

"What do you mean?" The king couldn't understand. 

"The Crown Prince is someone who is constantly worried about how he looks to the court, worried about four women who call him love but he knows their hearts could be lost at any moment. He's a man trying to be everything to everyone. No, I think I will fall in love with the man who sat outside my window and talked to me when I wasn't ready to meet him but wanted to hear his stories. I think I will fall for the man who teases me in the garden before the sun is fully in the sky, the man who gets me an early morning snack and listens to my silly childhood stories he couldn't understand." She looked down her cheeks flushed pink. 

"Ah, that is why he likes you so. You give him freedom no one else can because you are not born into this world of status and class, so you would be drawn to the things he likes best. So you are his favourite "wife", and you have found my favour too, now we need to make sure the other "wives" favour you and help you make a place in court so when you become queen you will have a little fight." He smiled. "Though I will keep my favour of you hidden for now, until the right moment, so for now keep these meetings a secret only sharing them with Adrien." 

"I can do that, and I think I have a plan to win the other Ladies' favour, though I will need Adirens permission first." She gave the King a smile that told him she was always thinking. 

"I would love to hear that plan. Adrien still needs my permission to do most things Marinette, so tell me your plan and we can make sure it happens." He leaned in. 

"Is this how women get so much done in court by being close to their fathers-in-law?" She chuckled. 

"Only the ones whose fathers hold more power than their husbands. My wife and father were close until her death, he would help her guide me and help me see things his experience already knew, and she could present them to me in a way I would hear." He smiled. 

"Well okay, that makes good sense. Well, I was thinking of starting with Lady Kagami, she is the court favourite after all so starting with her would hopefully gain me more support in court." She looked at him, waiting for approval. 

"I would agree and that is what I would encourage. But tell me but how you do that." he leans pack. 

"Well this is where I think you will disagree." she took a deep breath. "I want to start training with her, and promise her the role of chief protector to the queen, a role normally reserved for a man of the kings choosing but even if she couldn't have the role publicly it would be her role and Adrien's choice would be a cover and still my protector." She looked at him, waiting for his disapproval. 

"Hmmm, that is a rather interesting idea. I don't hate it, Adrien likely would enjoy that, Lady Kagami is a dear friend of his, he would hate to see her lost to oblivion. Alright, I will give that plan my blessing.  What of the other girls? The ones who have fallen in love?"

She looked at him, shocked he knew that. "Well I wasn't sure, they both are quick to support me, but I need to earn them as allies so I need to learn more. But I was thinking, what if Adrien and I made a mock court? Make it clear what roles of our court would be taken."

"I also think that is wise. It's risky too but as long as your careful it should work. Lady Alya and Lady Chloe can not be seen in love with their new men, court would lose it, it would not end well. If as your mock court they come to balls or dinners they must look at clear diplomatic partners, not lovers." Gabrial was firm on this, the court needed to believe Adirne was still trying to sleep with all of them.   

"I think we can arrange that. Is it too soon to start the mock court?" Marinette didn't want to overstep. 

"Start with Lady Kagami first, once she is strongly on your side, we can figure out how to make your mock court." 

"Alright, I'll talk to Adrien when he gets back, and then move on Lady Kagami." they shared a smile, "May I ask where you are going, King?" She gestured to his clothes. "I mean those are travel clothes?"

"Ah yes, Lady Nathalie and I are going on a picnic in my private garden. And I don't like to be in my royal grander when I'm alone with her." His smile was soft, light. 

"You do love her, don't you?" She blushed, "I've heard the rumours in the court..." 

"I do, she is the reason I want Adrien to have a child, I can't wed her until Adrien is on the throne. She can't give me a child so the court would never accept her as queen." 

Marinette smiled at the king, "I only wish I could do more." 

"You're doing all you can, for now." Gabrial was hopeful he wouldn't have to follow his plan, after all he really did like his son's favourite "wife".