Tides Change

Adrien met his father at the kingdom's gate, he jumped out of his moving carriage and embraced his father, "We had great success father! It was the best hunt I've had yet!" 

"I am very pleased my son, here take my horse and go see your bride of choice, the gods will bless you I am sure!" Adrien smiled at his father. "Go, my son!" Adrien jumped on the horse and rode as fast as he could. His father's guards could barely keep up. As he arrived at the castle he handed the horse off to the stable boy and raced to Marienttes room. He opened the door to find her staring out the courtyard window. Her hair was in two simple braids, she wore a light pink rode, one she'd made herself if he remembered right, and what he assumed would be her slip underneath. 

"My Dearest I am home."

The smile that greeted him was worth the nights on the hard ground in the tents with him men missing his lady. "My love." She hugged him so tightly he thought she'd never let go. "Was the hunt successful?" 

"The best one I have had yet. And I thank you for that!" He picked her up with ease twirled her around in a circle. "You are my good luck charm!" 

As he set her done she went and sat on the foot of her bed and untied her robe, "Well shall we see if the gods continue to bless my luck, my Lord Prince?" 

"Oh yes." Adrien quickly started removing his layers as quickly as he could. 

***

Adrien had been home for just shy of three weeks, he'd spent every night with her. She knew the other women were lonely, they could not love their men as she loved hers and she felt it so unfair. With Kim as her guard, she walked to her weekly tea with the King. She managed to get out of it the last two weeks thanks to Adrien making dinner plans for the three of them, but tonight was the monthly dinner with the mock court, so she had to go to this tea, to keep up appearances. 

"Ah, welcome Marinette, please take a seat."  

"Thank you, Gabriel." She sat stiffly unsure if she'd ever be able to relax in front of him again. "Before we talk of whatever pleasantries you have planned for the next hour, I should have you know I believed your plan has worked."

It was undeniable, the look of joy on this man's face. "What makes you say that." 

"My King, since my blood I have been as constant as the moon, I should have awoken to red-stained sheets and yet nothing, I have never once been late. I will need another month before I can call a doctor, but I will be telling Adrien my suspicions tonight. It will mean our mock court will know as the other ladies will have just finished theirs and will expect Adrien to see one of them tonight." 

"This is the most wonderful of news!" His smile was so bright, she wished she shared in his joy. But not knowing if this child was Adrien or his was enough to rob her of all joy she felt. How could she keep such a secret from her love? 

"I'm sure Adrien will be most overjoyed." She tried to smile. 

"Aren't you, my dear lady?"

She cringed at his pet name for her, she now saw through his manipulation. He had used her ignorance and her blind faith in him to her advantage. "How can I be? You have taken what should be the most joyous day of my life and made it a day full of questions." 

"I'm sure you will feel differently soon. After all, you have made everyone else's dreams come true." She knew he would never understand her struggle. 

"How can you sit there and say that! You have no clue what it's like to not know who your child's mother is!" She stood up and prepared to leave.