Breaking down

Adrien waved goodbye as he dropped Addison off at "school" it really was more of playtime for all the castle kids so the court could get stuff done. He could hardly believe his baby girl was five already. Time had flown by. After his father moved to the Castle in the mountains with his chosen court members, Adrien and Mari had set about having his old bedroom wing into what would become the Queens Quarters for Addie when she someday becomes Queen. He had thought about moving everyone over their but Marinette had been very opposed to that idea. And He really didn't want to move, so what had once been the Prince's Harem was now the King's Court literally, everyone who was close to the King lived off of his courtyard. Marinette seemed to like it best, she said it reminded her of the village. 

He snuck a peek into the courtyard from his room before he headed off to the library. He saw Felix and Chloes older two playing and Chloe's nurse maid holding their six-month-old, Chole must be in her office maybe with Felix, they were trying to plan the next big trip for the royal family, one of the oldest peace treaties needed to be renewed, this trip could spare no expense. Alya and Nino's three children played nearby, their second had been twins, their hands were full and took a few measures to avoid having children again soon. Kim stood to watch by the door training the two new recruits Marc and Nathaniel who would be the children's bodyguards on the upcoming trip. Though Kim's eyes often wandered to Kagami who stood near Marinette's quarter's door, holding their three-month-old, if they hadn't been in love when they wed, they were now. Even though Mylene and Ivan had been servents, their two kids played too, along with Alex and Max's child. All the Adults hoped that similar to Nino and Kim these kids would grow close with one of the kids and join a bond and change the castle culture. 

He smiled happily, if not also with a pang of jealousy, he wanted more kids, but he seemed to be back to his rotten luck, He and Mariette were not that old, they should have been able to have more kids. So that's why he was headed to the library. His father had never really thought him about the family stones, it was time he learned. 

***

Marinette put Addison to bed without Adrien, which was odd but he had mentioned something about needed answers. And that he might be late, so she wasn't worried, she left Rose, Addison's nursemaid who really was more of a governess to care for her if she awoke so Mariette could wait for Adrien in his room. Addison's room was in between her and Adrien's but she hardly used her room other than to dress and get ready for the day in. 

Adrien wondered a little while later. "Ah Adrien you back, I just finished a letter to Mama and Papa, Addison would like to go see them so I thought I'd write and ask if they can accommodate the three of us for a few days. I know it's not exactly convenient with the big trip coming up but I figure if nothing else we could go one day, you could head back without us and no one would know that Addie and I stayed behind. Then you could come to pick us up?"

"Marinette, how do I have a daughter?" Marinette turned to see that Adrien hadn't entered the room fully yet. 

"My Love do I really need to explain it to you?" She giggled.

"No Marinette, I shouldn't be able to have a daughter." He tossed a book on the floor. The Jewels of the Miraculous "According to this it shouldn't be possible."

"Oh..." She sighed. "What does the book say?"

He picked it up and read from the book, "The Lord or Lady who holds Black Cat Jewel is cursed by the god of destruction. They will fail in the areas of battle, trade or they will be the end of the family line. They should look to find a partner in the Lord or Lady who holds the Jewel of the Ladybug. For they will help create balance, even if they can't undo the damage done." He looked up at her, "So tell me, wife, how do we have a daughter?" 

He looked so angry. Marinette slipped to the floor. "You won't like the truth, my husband. But I will tell you.  I was brought here for a plan by High Lady Nathalie and High Lord Gabrial. But they saw that I had been chosen to bare the Ladybug jewel, so they chose to wait and see if the most blessed stone would give them an heir without his intervention. But after seven months, he got tired of waiting." She looked down. 

"Wait, He?" Adrien leaned against the door frame and slipped down t the floor. "My Father is my little girl's father?" 

"He didn't give me a choice Adrien, I was a girl he could make or break me. You were away I had no one I could turn to and help me. How could I tell the King no?" 

"He... You... What?" He was pale. 

"I'll go stay with my parents with Addison for four days, come back deal with the court and then if you still haven't sent for me your father promised me he would keep me and Addison safe. I can be your wife in appearance but you don't have to see us. I'm sure Felix would let you adopt one of his sons to be the next king. How also might be your bother honestly. Just go talk to your father. I'll take care of everything and be gone by mid-morning. I'll make sure Addie knows nothing."

Adrien stood, towering over her, she felt small, "I'll speak to my father tomorrow." He offered her his hand, "Marinette my love, I... I can't be mad at you, my father did this to you, to us, to our family. I will have an answer for you in four days at the latest. But for Addie's sake going away is wise, I would hate for her to see me this angry." 

"I understand my love, I should have told you sooner. But we will solve this. I know we can." She turned to leave, but Adrien didn't let off her hand. "My Lord?" 

"Stay. I feel too empty to be alone." 

"Always my love. I won't say no to you."