October 1930

Edith was the only one who knew about Mason. She was the only one that knew Sybbie had a ginormous crush on him. When the annual luncheon came around, Edith sneakily invited the village boy.

It was to be a surprise for young Sybbie. When they were all scattered around the grand room to talk and drink tea, Sybbie sat alone on the couch, playing with her teddy.

Mason and a kind looking woman with the same ginger coloured hair as him walked in.

"Could I help you?" Robert said somewhat harshly.

Sybbie looked up and nearly choked on her tea. She shoved her teddy under a cushion, and placed her cup gently on the table. She hopped up and almost trampled Marigold to get the the doorway.

Edith spoke quickly.

"This is young Mason Thompson. He's a dear friend of Sybbie, so I thought it'd be a nice time to ask him for a visit." She said.

"Sybbie, you know this boy?" Mary said suspiciously.

"Yes Aunt Mary. We played football together on the beach one day, and I think it marvellous he's come for some tea and scones, if that is quite alright with Donk." She said politely.

"Well, he's here now. Mason, come over here with the children. I'll get your mother some tea." Robert said.

Sybbie led Mason over to the small table where Marigold and George sat.

"Hello Mason!" George said excitedly. There weren't any boys his age at the Abbey.

"Good day, Master George." Mason said kindly.

Marigold waved goofily.

"Hi! I'm Marigold!" She said with all the emphasis in the world.

"Hello Miss." He said nicely.

"Do you like Sybbie?" Marigold blurted.

Sybbie nearly whacked Marigold atop the head, but remained somewhat calm, even though her face was steaming red.

"That is not very polite. Marigold, I think you should apologize immediately." Sybbie said sternly.

"Yes, I'm sorry for my cousin and her lack of anger control." Marigold shot out, leaving the table.

"Well," said Sybbie, "If your going to be visiting us, you should at least know how our relationships are."