August 1935

"Daddy, please!" Sybbie begged, tears brimming her eyes.

"Darling, you're just too young." Tom said sadly.

Tom didn't want Sybbie to be upset. It hurt him to see his only shred of happiness left upset. It pained him to see how he had shattered her heart. But it was not his choice. It was Roberts.

"But daddy," Sybbie cried, "I'm quite ready! I'm mature enough! I'm old enough! I do not whine and pout like Marigold, or stomp and hit like George! So why can't I court him? I love him."

Tom broke into tears.

"Sybbie, this isn't my choice! Your grandfather has threatened to kick us out from this house if I allow you." He sobbed.

Sybbie looked up.

"Then let him," she said confidently, "If I can't be with the one I love, I don't want to be here at all. I want to be with Mason. I don't want to stay here if I'm to be unhappy and locked away for the rest of my life! It won't change anything!"

Tom looked at his daughter in shock.

"We can live in the village. You've always talked about it, so why can't we? We can purchase a flat; God knows we've got enough money. And I think it would be an adventure, I've always wanted to be treated like a normal girl."

Memories flooded Tom's brain. When Sybil sacrificed her life to be with him. How she threatened Robert that she would leave to be with him. How she didn't care what class he was; love was love. How she traveled with him, all while carrying a soon to be born baby Sybbie. How she died, but never forgot him. How she looked over them when they were in troubled times. Their love was eternal, and if Sybbie wanted to have eternal love with Mason, he would let her.

"Yes then," Tom smiled, wiping away remaining tears, "If that's what you want, then we'll look for a flat, pack up and go. Well only be in the village; you can visit Downton whenever you'd like. Does that sound alright?"

Sybbie grinned that award winning grin. For a moment, Tom was sure he saw Sybil's face in hers.

"Oh, yes! Yes! Thank you!"

---------------------------------------------

Robert stood at the library door, tears sliding down his cheeks. He didn't want his beloved Sybbie to leave! Oh, how he loved her so!

Sybbie was the first grandchild. The first grandchild to smile, sit up, walk, talk, play Snakes and Ladders with him, win a game of Pinning the Tail on the Donkey, and the first grandchild to call him Donk.

Sybbie was his special girl. They were so close to each other, if she left, he was sure he'd go mad.

But he also wanted her to be happy.

No, he did not approve of Mason. Nor did he like Mason. Sybbie was repeating her mothers actions, and he did not like it one bit.

If Mason made Sybbie happy, he guessed it was alright. He supposed he could let it slip. But he still did not want her to leave.

---------------------------------------------

1 month later

Sybbie stood at the door with her father. She wore her petticoat, hat and gloves, holding a mountain of gifts. A special gift was hidden away in her leather bag; a carefully wrapped parcel from Donk.

George and Marigold stood beside her, and George stuck to her arm.

"Please don't leave Sybbie! I don't want you to go!" He whined.

"George, I'll only be in the village. I'll be back to visit on Saturday! That's only 2 sleeps!" She exclaimed.

Marigold, who was surprisingly quiet, drew circles in the gravel with her foot.

"Sybbie, I'm terribly sorry I've been so mean to you. And I'm sorry for everything I've done. I didn't mean anything bad, and I hope you'll forgive me." She whispered sadly, her cheeks turning a bright red.

"I forgive you." She smiled.

Kisses, hugs, tears and smiles were passed throughout the whole family. Sadly, Tom has to put an end to it.

"We've got to be off now," he said, "I'd like to be settled in before supper time. We'll be back on Saturday for the whole day. Goodbye!"

Sybbie smiled and climbed into the car. She remembered the special parcel, and took it out of her bag. She unwrapped it as Tom spoke to the chauffeur.

Sybbie pulled out a teddy. It was caramel brown and had a beautiful red silk ribbon around its neck. There was a gold heart locket threaded through the ribbon. She opened the locket, which revealed a photo of her and Robert. On the other half of the heart, it read:

"To my beloved Sybbie. Donk loves you with all of his heart."

She looked out the window as the car drove away. Robert smiled to her as she smiled back. This was his way of saying,

I'll love you forever.