June 1926

Sybbie stood in the corner, pouting. She was in trouble with the nanny. She had pulled 4 year old Marigold's hair.

Marigold had taken Sybbie's doll, but the nanny was not aware of that. After nearly 10 minutes of punishment, Sybbie had had quite enough.

"Nanny," She whined. "I am very sorry. Please let me out!"

"You have been a very naughty girl. You will stay put." The nanny said sternly.

Sybbie let out a shrill cry.

"Please!!"

"Absolutely not." She said once again.

Sybbie resorted to wailing. Tom and Edith heard the miserable cries, and entered the nursery. They were taken aback by the scene.

Sybbie was kicking the floor, crying crocodile tears, Marigold was running about with Sybbie's doll, singing to herself, and George was simply sitting on the ground, covering his ears.

Edith caught her daughter in her arms and picked her up.

"Mari," She scolded, "You mustn't make such noise. It's bothering George, see?" She pointed to George, who was still covering his ears.

"I'm sorry George." She mumbled.

"And Sybbie," Tom said, scooping her up, "Your 6 years old now! Your much too big of a girl to be crying out like that!"

"But there's ought to be a reason she is." Edith pointed out.

"Yes," Tom spoke. "What is that reason, nanny?"

"She hit Miss Marigold,sir." She explained.

"Sybbie!" Tom exclaimed.

"Marigold stole my doll!" She cried, defensively.

"Did you?" Edith asked her.

Marigold hung her head down.

"Yes mummy." She sighed.

"I'm very sorry Sybbie."