Chapter 2

Fiona had a rough night. No matter which way she tossed and turned, her body ached. Getting out of bed the next day took every ounce of strength she had. After a few stretches and a warm shower, she wandered down to the kitchen and made herself some coffee. The idea of food was unappealing.

There was no sign of Henry's presence until she stepped out onto the back porch. Fiona found him sitting on the swing with his duffle resting against the porch railing. The sun wasn't up yet, but he looked well-rested and ready to start the day.

"Would you like some coffee?" she offered, holding out her mug.

"Thanks," he said, taking the offering, his fingers overlapping hers as he took it.

Fiona ignored the little shock that moved up her arm as she walked back into the kitchen to pour herself another cup, then she rejoined him, choosing not to sit down for fear she wouldn't be able to get back up.

They drank their coffee in silence as the sun slowly started to rise, and she could see the men start to make their way across the yard to their different jobs as they began their long day. 

"Would you like a little advice?" Henry asked, breaking the silence.

Fiona thought about the question. Did she want advice? She had decided she needed help last night, but how much help did she really want?

"Look, Fiona, I'm here to help. I'm on your side, and I know a little bit about leading a team. I'm happy to share what I have learned, but I'm not going to force the information on you if you're not interested." Henry turned his head to look at her, and his rich brown eyes met her blue ones.

"All right?" she agreed.

"Admit you're hurt, admit you're human. Tell the men you need a personal day to recover. They'll respect you more for it." Henry sounded so sure of himself, but it went directly against what she thought she should do. However, if she was honest, what she was doing wasn't working.

Fiona noticed Roger, her Ranch Forman, exiting the barn, and when he saw them, he approached, taking off his hat in the process.

"Miss Stevens," he nodded before he turned his head towards Henry as he joined them.

"Roger, this is Henry. He's an old family friend with some time on his hands, so he has offered to help for a month or two." Henry stood up with a friendly smile and reached for the other man's hand to shake it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir," Henry said. His words acknowledged Roger's seniority in the company.

"Have you worked ranches before? Do you know horses?" It was a mini-interview of sorts.

"Yes, sir. I grew up in South Dakota and California working ranches. I'm not an expert, but I know how to muck a stall with the best of them." Henry's grin was infectious, and Fiona watched in awe as Roger returned it.

She had never gotten Roger to smile. Perhaps Henry was the right one to help her after all.

"Roger, that fall I took yesterday did more damage than I thought. Would you mind taking charge while I take it easy and get some paperwork done? Since Henry's here, I don't feel like I am leaving you a man short." Fiona sipped her coffee, putting the ball in Roger's court.

Roger nodded. "It was a hard fall, nothing to feel bad about. We've all had them." With those words of support shared, he popped his cowboy hat back on his head and looked at Henry. "Join me in the barn when you're finished here. I'll introduce you to the rest of the men."

"Yes, sir," Henry agreed, watching Roger turn and walk back to the barn.

Fiona looked at Henry, and he at her.

"Remember, you're in charge, but you're also part of the team. To get respect, you have to give respect. If you feel like the men aren't respecting you, ask yourself if you're respecting them."

Henry drained his coffee and set the mug on the porch railing. "Leading through intimidation will never win you any friends."

"Me, intimidating?" Fiona asked, floored. How on earth was she even remotely intimidating?

Henry put his cowboy hat, which had materialized from out of nowhere, on his head, then stepped toward her, getting in her personal space. Fiona was tall, but he was taller, and she had to lean her head back to look up at him. She could feel the heat as it radiated off him in the early morning chill. He smelled like soap and something lemony.

"Those beautiful blue eyes of yours can cut a man to shreds without you even trying. It's a powerful weapon, and you should be careful how you use it." Henry reached beside her and picked up his duffle.

That was why he had gotten so close, his duffle. Fiona felt awkward once again. She should have stepped back and gotten out of his way, but she had welcomed his closeness like a schoolgirl. 

However, he didn't step away immediately as his eyes skimmed her face. Although he looked serious, what he was thinking was a mystery to Fiona. Then, as if the clouds had parted, he grinned.

"I'll catch you later, boss lady!" Henry tipped his hat at her in a traditional farewell, then followed the same path that Roger had.

Fiona couldn't tear her eyes away from his strong shoulders and easy gate as he walked toward the barn in the early morning light.

Lord help her heart. He was something.

*******

Henry could feel Fiona's gaze burning into his back as he walked away. He was pleased that she was taking his advice, and he hoped he could help her before he had to leave. If nothing else, he had managed to get her to take the day to do some light labor, giving her body a chance to heal. He didn't doubt for a minute that she would be back up on a horse if she thought it would help her case.

Henry never allowed himself to look a Fiona as anything other than one of the Stevens' girls. He had known her since she was six years old and he was twelve years old. They had grown up together, but now, he had to admit that there was an attraction there that he had been doing his best to ignore.

What man wouldn't be attracted to her? She was beautiful, a blond goddess.

Despite her beauty, though, he sometimes felt that she didn't think much of herself. How did she not know that she was intimidating? Surely, she did it on purpose?

He had watched the actresses in the Stevens family taking on the same persona that Fiona did to shut out unwanted admiration. They would adopt a cold and bored expression while rebuffing interested men. Laura Stevens, a famous model, was particularly good at it, and he knew that Laura and Fiona had always been close. Perhaps Laura was the one who taught Fiona the skill.

Henry frowned as he compared Fiona to Laura. She looked cold but never bored as Laura did. Fiona's eyes would grow wide, and she would stare a person down until they felt uncomfortable in their own skin. It was the ultimate snub.

He pushed his hat back to open his face up and show his friendly smile as he entered the barn. Henry couldn't help but think that there was a slim possibility that Fiona shared the attraction because when he had stepped toward her, she hadn't backed up as he had expected. She had held her ground as he joined her in her personal space. He was sure that there had been a little hitch in her breath, and her eyes had grown bigger if that were possible.

Henry watched as Roger walked toward him with some other men.

Now was not the time to analyze his feelings for Fiona. He had an impression to make. Besides this, what Fiona might feel was pointless.

She was a Stevens' girl, which meant she was off-limits.