Chapter 25 (The End)

Fiona had pulled herself together by the time the family had started to arrive that evening. They came in bunches, Bryce and Grace, Laura and Davis, Mave, Beth and Wyatt, and Alistair all came from New York, while Mason and Cassie, Norah and Caleb, Poppy, and Aggie all came from California, and having them around her had taken her mind of Henry.

Finn called her twice a day to give her an update, not that there was an update to give.

She had managed to talk to Kate and Lee a few times, but it had been hard on all of them, so it wasn't something she was looking to repeat regularly, especially if Finn was willing and able to be their go-between.

Her parents showed up a week into the ordeal, and it gave Fiona a sense of relief to know that they were there. The other family that couldn't make it checked in regularly and had long conversations with Fiona at one point or another. The support was strong, making Fiona wish that she had been more honest as a young adult. If she had shared her pregnancy, break-up, and then miscarriage with them, it might have all been easier to deal with.

Clayton had reached out a few times trying to reconnect, but she had ignored his texts and phone calls. That was all behind her, and she had no desire to revisit it.

Fiona was in the kitchen with Beth and Alistair one night after dinner when they heard the piano. It was an instant draw for all of them as Cassie's voice filled the air. It had been a long time since Fiona had taken part in a family sing-along.

Bryce was sitting at the piano while Cassie was picking the songs she wanted to sing. Sometimes, the rest of the family would join in while at other times they would listen to Cassie's voice as it soared.

"You know, I picked a song for all of your aunts and uncles, and I should pick one for you and Henry," Cassie said as she looked through her sheet music.

"What about us!" Beth cried. "You never picked a song for Wyatt and me either." She was snuggling Mary on her shoulder as she spoke.

"No, thank you, Aunt Cassie," Fiona said over Beth's complaint. "Henry and I aren't really the song type. If we did have a song, I would want it to be because it was something we heard at an important moment. Plus, he's not even here right now." Fiona swallowed hard against the tears that she felt at her words.

Fiona's statement killed the fun atmosphere, and shortly after that, everyone started to wander up to bed. Fiona took her time cleaning the kitchen, locking the doors, and turning off lights because all that awaited her was an empty bed and too many what-ifs.

She slowly got ready for bed, changing into her pajamas before she moved to the bathroom to look at herself in the mirror. She had come a long way in the last year. When she looked at her reflection, she saw a different person looking back at her.

Fiona bowed her head and closed her eyes, she knew Henry would be proud and while the thought made her glad, it also made her miss him all the more.

"Did you fall off your horse again?" a deep voice said from behind her.

Fiona's head snapped up, and she saw Henry reflected in the mirror behind her. He looked exactly as he had a year earlier. She spun around and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Those eyes, Fiona. They get me every time." His voice broke, and Fiona rushed towards him, pulling him close.

There were no words spoken between them as she clung to Henry with tears streaming down her face.

She had so many questions, but for the moment, she only wanted to feel him close. He was thinner than he had been, and she stepped back, letting her hands glide over his body, looking for injury.