Chapter 13

Fiona and Henry did join the others for an afternoon of relaxation, and Fiona couldn't help silently gloating over how impressive Henry looked next to other husbands as they lounged around the pool. Henry took her out to dinner at a bar-b-que place with a laid-back atmosphere and live music later that night. They drunk beer while eating some of the best food she had ever tasted. It was one of the best nights she had ever had, and she couldn't recall the last time she had laughed so much.

Beth had been right when she had said that Henry was the most handsome and dangerous-looking man in the room.

For Fiona, other than her parents, it was the most natural-feeling relationship. She felt accepted and valued as she and Henry exchanged ideas about everything from world politics to favorite television shows.

The following day, she and Henry had been all business as they had packed, had breakfast, and got on the road for the trip back to the ranch. Fiona had been anxious that they would bump into the others at breakfast, and false promises about seeing each other soon would have been made, but it didn't happen. They made a clean getaway.

They made the trip home in contented silence as the truck ate of the miles from Austin to the ranch in very little time. When they arrived, there was a rental car parked in front of the house.

"Were you expecting someone?" Henry asked as he cut the engine.

"No, but as my family has proven many times, surprise visits are their specialty." Fiona felt herself tensing as she said the words. The rental car made it impossible to tell who it could be, and part of her dreaded that it might be her parents because if it were it would mean the reckoning would come sooner rather than later.

Henry pulled their bags out of the truck and followed her up the porch. "Would you like me to check on things for you while you settle in?" he asked.

Fiona shook her head. "No, I think I had better do it."

"Cut out the middle man?" Henry smiled, and Fiona returned his smile, thankful he got it.

"Something like that," she agreed as she pushed open the unlocked door and called out.

There were footsteps on the stairs that led to the kitchen, and her cousin Alistair appeared, grinning at the sight of them.

"There you are!" he greeted in his highbrow English accent. "I've come to help with the ranch for a few weeks. Father said I might be needed stateside in the next few weeks and that I should come home." He hugged Fiona and then shook Henry's hand. "I heard there was a rumor that you were helping out around here."

Alistair, who was raised in England,  was one of the few cousins who hugged her. He was equal parts his mother and his father. He had his Mother, Grace's, warm and welcoming personality while having his father, Bryce's, mature and reserved nature. One felt they could always trust Alistair.

"You're just in time to take over. I have to leave in about a week." Henry smiled at Alistair.

"Why didn't you go to New York like the rest of the family?" Fiona asked as she eyed her cousin.

"No, thank you. There are too many of them in one place, and I already spent time with them a few months ago at the annual birthday party."

All of the cousins had their birthdays around the same time of year, and the family saw it as one more reason to gather together and celebrate.

"How did that go?" Fiona asked. It had been her first time to miss it.

"Fine. Beth had her new boy toy there, although he came with a different woman." Alistair shrugged.

Fiona raised her eyebrow at this and shot Henry a covert look. Whatever had happened between Beth and Wyatt had been resolved.

"What am I missing?" Alistair asked as he looked between the two of them.

"I didn't realize it was so serious with Wyatt and Beth," Fiona hedged as she reached in the fridge for a drink. "I'm going to change, then do a walk around and see what happened while we were away," she said, changing the subject before she grabbed her bag and darted up the stairs.

*******

Alistair looked at Henry after Fiona had gone.

"She'll never do covert," Henry shrugged, reaching into the fridge as Fiona had done.

"Interesting turn of phrase she used, 'while we were away,' is there anything I should know, or is that a secret too?" Alistair asked in amusement.

"You are your father's son, aren't you. You don't miss a beat." Henry smiled as he picked up his bag and walked to the back door. "I'm glad you're here. Fiona needs some advice, and I don't think I'm the one to give it to her."

"Thank you for the compliment." Alistair inclined his head in mock seriousness. "Aren't you going to follow her?"

"No, she put me in the bunkhouse with the other cowboys, disappointed?" Henry's smile turned into a full grin at Alistair's confusion.

"Highly disappointed, and the others will be as well. We've been waiting for Finry to happen since adolescence." Alistair shook his head as if he had learned his favorite television show had just been canceled.

"Finry?" Henry asked.

"It was either that or Heona." Alistair was having a difficult time keeping a straight face.

Henry nodded as she thought it over. "Either way neither has come to pass. Fiona went to visit with some old college friends, and a few of my Navy friends were in town, two birds one stone."

"What does she need advise on?" Alistair asked, looking over his shoulder to make sure that Fiona hadn't returned.

"I'll try to bring it up at dinner, even if it makes her a little uncomfortable. That is if I'm invited to dinner, being the hired help an all?" Henry opened the door.

"It's fine with me, but you had better ask the boss?" Alistair loudly said as he heard Fiona's footsteps on the stairs.

"Ask the boss what?" Fiona asked as she joined them, rolling up her shirt sleeves. Henry couldn't help but admire the way she filled out her tight jeans.

"If I'm welcome to dinner this evening?" Henry asked.

"Sure, but I'm not cooking. Can you cook?" Fiona reached for her hat next to the door.

"Well enough, you have some canned vegetables and ground beef?" Henry opened the door wider and followed her out as he saw Alistair shudder at the possibilities.

"I'll cook!" he called as the door close behind them.

"Do you think he figured it out?" Fiona asked with wide eyes that were full of concern as they stepped off the porch.

"Figured what out, our weekend getaway or Beth and Wyatt?" Henry walked beside her as she headed toward the barn.

"Us, I won't give Beth and Wyatt away, but they're going to be found out eventually, and they are married." Fiona frowned as she thought about the situation.

"I think he is suspicious, but without proof, he won't push the issue. He's too much like his father to do that. Although, he did tell me that the cousins would be disappointed because they had been waiting for Finry to happen since adolescence." Henry knew it would bother her, and he couldn't help teasing her a little.

"Finry!" she hissed, looking up at him from under her hat, and Henry had never wanted to kiss her as much as she had at that moment. She must have sensed it because she licked her lips in response.

Henry cleared his throat. "I need to go change and get to work."

"Yes, you should do that," Fiona said, but neither one of them moved.

"How about steaks for dinner!" Alistair yelled from the back porch, and it made both of them jump, breaking the spell.

Then, before he did something foolish, Henry turned and headed toward the bunkhouse.