Chapter 16

One year later.

Fiona had made a new life for herself, and she was content with it. Her parents had seemed relieved to return home and get back to work, but Fiona wanted them to have time away, so it was decided that she would spend the summers managing the ranch and the rest of the year obtaining her graduate degree.

Henry was still in her life via email and phone. They talked regularly and texted daily when it was possible. He had helped her as she worked through potential college options, given her plenty of pep talks, and was always ready to listen. It was the modern version of a pen pal.

The Stevens had all been very supportive of Fiona's return to school. Aunt Laura had told her that she had done something similar at the same age. She had gotten a new job, obtained a roommate, and gone back to school. Aunt Laura had then informed Fiona that she had learned so much about herself in a very short time, and one of the things she had learned was that she was happy with who she was and didn't want to change.

It wasn't the outcome that Fiona hadn't wanted to hear, but it had made her rethink her thoughts on roommates because, while Laura hadn't particularly liked her roommate, she had learned a lot from her. 

Fiona, who had decided not to have roommates after her disastrous encounter with her old ones in Austin the year before, changed her mind because of Laura's story. 

While Fiona wouldn't have three this time around, one or two might not be a bad idea because if she didn't have any, she risked the possibility of becoming a recluse due to her shyness. It was the same reason Laura had said she had decided on a roommate.

Fiona's roommates were two other graduate students. Lenora was going to school for English, and Bebe was a Business major. They were both petite blonds who were full of young energy. The three of them had gotten a little house on the outskirts of their small Virginia college campus. The college was recommended to her by Aunt Laura's sister, Charlie. It had been where she had studied Psychology.

Charlie had recommended that neighborhood because it was near the park, close to campus, and quiet. She hadn't been wrong. It was the perfect setting, and when the house got too busy with study sessions and guests, Fiona could find a shady tree in the park and relax with a book.

Tonight was not going to be a quiet night, though. Somehow Bebe and Lenora had convinced Fiona that what they needed was a night out. They had all taken the last of their third-quarter final exams that day and needed to let off some steam.

"Is that what your wearing, Fiona?" Bebe asked as she looked at Fiona's sundress.

"Yes, why? What's wrong with it?" Fiona asked, looking down at her long skirt that flowed around her ankles in a boho style.

"If I had legs like yours, I'd be wearing the shortest skirts I could find!" Bebe teased her good-naturedly.

Fiona rolled her eyes in response.

"Come on, Fiona! It's a night out on the town. Sexy it up a bit!" Lenora said as she joined them. They were both wearing short skirts and loose blouses with heels that they teetered on. If either one of them had too much to drink, they would wind up with a broken ankle.

Fiona was about to say this when her phone buzzed, and she reached in her purse for it.

I got into VA this AM and have now been cleared for some leave. Are you free?

Fiona felt her heart skip a beat as she saw the text from Henry.

I was about to head out with the girls, but I think I can get out of it.