Chapter 5

Even though Henry and Beth joked and chatted, Henry never took his eyes off the hallway that Wyatt and Fiona had disappeared down. He couldn't begin to imagine what Wyatt needed to discuss with Fiona, and he wasn't crazy about them being alone. Henry could count the things he knew about Fiona on the one hand, and one of those things he of was that she didn't like feeling cornered.

Henry forced himself to focus his attention on Beth, who was rooting around in the fridge for something to cook. Fiona was a big girl and could take care of herself.

There was no sense in worrying about something he had no control over.

"What's with the rings?" Henry asked, nodding to Beth's hand on top of the fridge. That he had noticed, and the answer might distract him. "The last time I saw you, you weren't wearing them."

Beth blushed. "Ummm, I'm married." Her voice was barely above a whisper, as if she was testing how they sounded.
"To Wyatt?" Henry nodded his head in the direction that he had disappeared. The last time he had been in New York and spent time with Beth, Wyatt had been on the scene, and Henry had picked up on some definite tension between them.

"Yes, it was a spur of the moment thing, so don't be upset you weren't invited." Beth bit her lip, expecting Henry to be mad, and it amused him.

Henry shot her a smile that let her know he didn't mind in the least. "How did your family take the news? I always thought that you and your cousins would have big weddings." he had a limited family had always admired the closeness of the Stevens clan.

Henry reached past Beth, who was staring off into space while deep in thought, and pulled out some eggs and cheese. "Let's make omelets," he suggested.

Beth nodded and reached for a few vegetables. "They haven't noticed." She shrugged as Henry looked over at her. It was apparent it was a sore spot with her.

"What do you mean they haven't noticed? Is it a secret?" He frowned. He couldn't see anyone disagreeing with her choice of husband. Wyatt seemed to be a good guy.

"No, we chose not to tell anyone, and they haven't noticed the rings yet." Beth grabbed a cutting board and a knife as Henry eyed her silently. He could tell by her agitated movements that she was defensive about the subject.

"That's a dangerous game, Beth. I can tell you already feel bad about the situation, and it will only get worse." He did his best to keep his voice gentle.

"Wyatt agrees." Beth nodded.

There was a good deal more to say on the subject, but Henry got the feeling that Beth didn't want to talk about it, so he dropped the subject, and they worked in silence as they cooked lunch. It wasn't his place to tell her what was right or wrong. He had made too many mistakes in his life to judge others.

They prepared the meal together, and it was half an hour later when Wyatt appeared with a friendly smile.

"Is lunch ready? I'm starved." Wyatt informed them as he threw an arm around Beth.

"Where is Fiona?" Beth frowned at her absence.

"She's not hungry, and she said not to wait for her," Wyatt said as she looked at the food on the counter.

Beth opened her mouth to speak, but Henry interrupted her. "Let's eat, then. I only have a few more minutes."

Counted among the few things Henry knew about Fiona was that if she wanted to be alone, it was best that she be left alone. She was an intensely private person, and in the two weeks he had been here, they hadn't shared much that was personal. He had the impression that Fiona was good at hiding bruises of all sorts, and it ate at him the Wyatt Ramsey knew something about her that he didn't.