Chapter 17

Fiona had Henry drive them to a little café that was just off the park where she lived. The trip was silent as Henry kept looking in his mirrors and appeared distracted, causing Fiona to speak only to give him directions to the restaurant.

She kept stealing small glances at him from the corner of her eye. He looked so different without his beard. Henry had looked dangerous last spring in Texas, but now there was an edge to his look. It was as if he didn't play by the rules anymore.

There was a parking spot right in front of the restaurant. Henry parked the car with no trouble, then walked around the car and opened her door for her. At least his manners were still intact. Fiona thanked him nicely then led him toward the café.

"Would you like to eat inside or outside?" Fiona asked. It was a lovely spring night, and the bugs weren't that bad, plus she felt like things might be less stilted if they were outside for some reason.

"You pick," he suggested with a smile that once again didn't touch his eyes.

"We don't have to do this, Henry?" Fiona put her hand on his arm and stopped him.  Their initial pleasure at seeing each other at the bar had turned horribly awkward for some reason. 

"Do what, Fiona?" he asked as he placed his hand over hers.

"Have dinner. You look agitated and distracted. If there is something else you need to be doing, it's all right. We can catch up another time." Fiona met his eyes.

"I am agitated and distracted, but I really want to spend a little time with you." His hand came up to tweak a strand of hair. "You have no idea how much I have missed you."

Fiona's heart melted a little and she nodded then chose a table outside. There were only a few diners since the dinner hour had passed, which meant that they could have a private conversation if they wanted to.

It only took a moment after they were seated for a waitress to take their drink order and leave them with menus.

"How is school going?" Henry asked as he looked over the menu.

Fiona knew what she wanted, so she looked at him instead. He must have felt her gaze on him because he looked up and caught her eyes with his. It could have been a few seconds or minutes that they stared at each other as they tried to read each other's thoughts.

The waitress reappeared, breaking the spell, and took their order.

When she was gone, Fiona reached for her glass of water with a shaky hand.

"School?" Henry asked again.

"It's fine. I just finished the finals for this quarter. I have one more quarter to go for this year, and I'll be back home for the summer so that Mom and Dad can take a vacation." Fiona reached for her fork and straightened it as she spoke. "I'll probably spend a week in New York after classes end first, though. Aunt Grace invited me to stay with her.

"Lily and Cassie are doing a benefit concert in May," Henry supplied. His eyes were glued to her, and he had better control of his agitation than he had before.

Fiona nodded. "Aunt Grace said something about that. Will you be there?" Fiona asked, her eyes lifting to his in hope.

"I hadn't planned on it, but now that I know you'll be there, I'll try my hardest to make it. It all depends on where I am." Henry laid his hand flat on the table as if he was trying to ground himself.

"So you re-enlisted after all?" Fiona softly asked.

Henry's head shot up, and he looked at her. "I did. I thought I had told you." He frowned.