Chapter 20

Henry had asked his parents to meet him at the restaurant half an hour earlier than the others. He wanted to tell them about Fiona in person to gauge their reaction. Tonight was the first test to see if he and Fiona could behave as only friends with others around. She was still determined not to tell her family, and if this didn't go well, then there was no hope of that happening.

Henry knew the Stevens family well enough to understand why she wanted to keep their relationship quiet for the time being, and he didn't take it personally. If their nickname were anything to go by, the teasing would be relentless.

He noticed Kate and Lee at a large table in the back as soon as he entered, and he couldn't help the smile that lit his face at the sight of them. He was fortunate to have them in his life.

When Kate saw him, she stood up and held open her arms in greeting. There was no doubt that she was happy to see him.

"Henry!" she greeted as she hugged him tight before turning him over to Lee.

"Son!" Lee said as he also hugged him.

"Thanks for meeting me early," he said as he joined them, sitting at the table.

"Of course, who all is coming this evening?" Kate asked.

"It's gotten a little out of hand," Henry admitted. It was only supposed to be Fiona and his parents, but the phone tree had been activated, and they had a total of ten for dinner.

"Phone tree?" Lee asked with an amused grin.

"Yes, at last count, we're a party of ten. The three of us, Fiona, Kellan, Charlie, Laura, Davis, Lily, and Finn. With everyone being on the east coast, they thought it would be nice to see each other while they had the chance."

"Oh, Lily and Finn," Kate said as she grabbed Henry's arm. "Wonderful! I haven't seen them in almost a year! Are they bringing the kids?" Spoken like a true grandmother. Lily had three girls that ranged from sixteen to eleven.

"I don't think so," Henry frowned. They hadn't said they were. If they did, that would make three more.

Kate smiled at someone who had approached the table, and Henry looked up in time to see Bebe reach his side.

"Henry!" Fiona's roommate greeted him. Henry took in her dress shirt and slacks with an apron and realized that she was their waitress. Well, that added another challenge to the evening, and the thought amused him.

"Bebe," he greeted with a smile. "These are my parents, Kate and Lee Mercer. Mom and Dad, this is my friend Bebe."

Bebe blushed as she said the words. "I'm so sorry about the other night!" Bebe said in a hushed whisper, but she wasn't so quiet that Kate's ears didn't perk up. It had Henry second-guessing himself with sharing the news of him and Fiona. He loved his mother, but she was close to Lily and Charlie, who were close to the Stevens.

"That's all right." Henry's smile grew tense. He was no longer amused.

"I'm sorry I wasn't awake when you left," Bebe apologized, making matters a heck of a lot worse.

Kate leaned forward to grab Bebe's attention. "Bebe, is that short for something?"

"No, it's just Bebe." Bebe smiled as Kate pulled her into the chair next to her.

Henry took a deep breath and rubbed his face. Kate was off on the third degree. She had obviously added two plus two and came up with five.

"Can I talk to you alone, Dad?" Henry leaned in and asked softly.

"Sure," Lee said, standing and walking towards another table a few yards away. "I take it your mother has the wrong end of the stick?" Lee looked lovingly at his wife.