Chapter 14

Alistair was an excellent cook, and both Henry and Fiona complimented him on a delicious meal as they started on their dessert of fresh fruit. Alistair had also kept them entertained with the deal a production crew was attempting to make with him at the estate in Kent.

"But why do they want to film in the house?" Fiona asked, confused.

"Remember that story about the lady in grey from when we were kids?" Alistair asked as he speared a bite of strawberry.

"Yes, she fell in a lake and drown after her husband died in some war or other." Fiona nodded. "It's the same story every haunted estate in England shares. It's either that one or the evil lord who refused to leave."

"Unlike you, they are impressed with the Grey Lady, and they want to ghost hunt at our family home and film it." Alistair waved his fingers in the air as if making a big deal about it.

"But the house isn't haunted," Fiona insisted as she turned to look at Henry. "You've never been to the Estate in Kent, have you?"

"No, but why would I have? The only time we saw each other growing up was in Savannah," He pointed out as he popped a grape in his mouth. Fiona was captivated by his lips for a moment and the muscles in his strong jaw as he chewed.

"Why would you, indeed? it's a drafty old place." Alistair broke the spell with his words, and Fiona felt her cheeks turning red as she realized she had been staring.

"So, the house is haunted by a lady in grey, and this movie company wants to try and catch her in the act?" Henry summarized.

"Something like that," Alistair nodded. "It would require letting them roam free through the house for a few days, and I'm not sure the ancestors would appreciate that."

"But if the house isn't haunted, how would you ever know if the ancestors were upset or not?" Henry pointed out the flaw in his reasoning.

"They glower from their paintings, and every time I finish another conversation with the production company, they seem to glower more." Alistair shook his head in mock distress.

Fiona rolled her eyes as she ate another piece of fruit. "I say go for it. It might be fun."

"Americans!" Alistair said in exasperation.

"You're more American than you are British!" Fiona insisted.

"When was the last time you went to Kent?" Henry asked Fiona.

Fiona frowned as she thought about it. When was the last time she had been? "Grandma's funeral, and it was only for a few days. I can't remember the last time I spent any real time there."

"Well, why don't you go help Alistair with this production crew?" Henry suggested as he looked at Alistair for support.

Alistair looked from one to the other. "What am I missing?"

"Nothing," Fiona insisted. Alistair didn't need to be brought into her troubles.

"I think you should share with Alistair. He might have an idea of how you can talk to your parents and the family." Henry reached for their empty bowls and took them to the sink. "I'll say goodnight and let you two visit." He said as he reached for his hat.

Alistair kept his eyes on Fiona as she watched Henry leave."What's all this about Fiona?"

Fiona traced a drop of water as it moved down the side of her beer bottle.

"I want to go back to school. I don't want to run the ranch anymore, and I don't know how to tell Mom and Dad." Fiona said it in a rush before she chickened out, and somehow, telling another person suddenly made it more real.

Alistair leaned back in his chair and considered her for a minute.

"Then do it. This ranch is no more a responsibility to you than any of us. Your father wanted it, so he took it on. Maybe he's rethinking his decision to retire."

"I doubt that," Fiona shook her head at the thought. Her father and mother had been so happy to retire, almost relieved.

"Then hire someone you trust to manage it. That's what I do at the estate. I don't mess with the day-to-day someone else does that. I only swoop in once a quarter to check on things. Don't do what you don't want to do, Fiona. Life's too short." Alistair reached across the table and patted her hand. "Now, let's talk about Henry?"

"What about Henry?" Fiona took a swig of beer, trying to play it cool.

"Finry, is it happening? You can tell me. I'll be the soul of discretion." Alistair put his hand over his heart as he said the words.

Fiona snorted at his false promise. "Where did this ridiculous name come from? Was it Mave or Poppy?"

"Uncle Mason. He was in one of his playful moods when he had learned that he and Aunt Cassie had been dubbed Massie."

Fiona groaned. "It's not just the cousins!"

"Lord, no! We all know you have had a thing for Henry from the moment you met him," Alistair insisted with a grin.

"I have not!" Fiona cried. Of course she had, but she would never admit that to anyone.

"Have to!" Alistair cried back, grinning wider.

"Well, what about this Katherine woman you met at the Birthday party? Beth went on and on about how much the two of you enjoyed each other's company." Fiona was desperately trying to throw Alistair off the scent of her and Henry's new friendship.

"She's the woman that came with Wyatt." Alistair shrugged, unconcerned.

Fiona couldn't say she knew that this Katherine was a free agent then because no one knew that Beth and Wyatt were married, and besides, maybe this Katherine woman was dating someone else.

"I still think you should look her up next time you're in New York. All she can do is turn you down." Fiona finished lamely.

"Says the beautiful blond who has probably never been turned down." Alistair laughed as he stood, pushing in his chair.

"You're an English Earl, Alistair. I doubt that you have ever been turned down." Fiona shook her head. It didn't hurt that he also had curly black hair, vivid blue eyes, and dimples.

"There's a first time for everything, Fiona." He said it with such a serious face that Fiona couldn't help but laugh.

"Then it will be a good character builder." Fiona leaned back in her chair as she thought about Alistair being told no. It was a word she was sure he hadn't heard often in his life.

"Sure," he agreed. "I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. Now, Fiona, I want to say for the record that I am a very deep sleeper, so if anyone were to say... sneak in or out of the house, I would never know."

Fiona picked up a towel and threw it at him. "Goodnight, Alistair!" she called as he made a quick getaway.

As much as Fiona wanted to spend another night in Henry's arms, distance was probably a good thing. She had a lot to think about.

Deciding to leave the dishes until the morning, Fiona turned out the kitchen light and locked the door. When her phone pinged, she looked down at it.

I know a couple of Psych professors who would put in a good word for you at their school in California. Henry had written

I'll think about it.

You do that, goodnight.

Goodnight

The quick little exchange made her smile. It was nice to have someone who knew what was going on with her life and trying to help her make plans. It gave her hope for the future.